Lola's Reviews > What Kills Me

What Kills Me by Wynne Channing

Apr 24, 13

bookshelves: e-books, books-that-i-own, already-released, got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed
Read from June 25 to 29, 2012

I got a copy for review in exchange for an honest review.

When I got the mail from the author who asked if I wanted to review this I almost instantly decided I would review this. The book sounded original and interesting and the cover looked beautiful. Well I wasn’t disappointed

I want to start with the story, normally I don’t care about the story that much when the characters and the world building are good. But in this case the story was so good that I didn’t mind it too much that there was almost no character development and world building. The story starts off very fast paced and even felt a bit rushed at times. Constantly there is something happening. The events follow each other quickly, but due to the fast paced I also was intrigued and wanted to keep reading. There was no good point to stop reading and this book really had that keep reading feel. All in all I think the story is great and it really forms the foundation of this book. The story is original, fast paced and interesting.

On the other hand I couldn’t really connect with the characters, especially at the beginning. We just get to know Zee, the main character, but so much happens that I didn’t really got a feel for who she was. In the rest of the book I did get a better feel of her, but I still think that I would’ve liked this book better if there was more character depth. I just couldn’t get a feel for the characters until the last 25% of the book. I did think the characters where interesting and that’s why I wanted to know more about them.

Well the world building also lacked, but if I didn’t always put it in my review I wouldn’t have noticed it. Okay so there is little world building, but we get to know most of the things we need to know. It never got confusing or annoying. So the main point why I would’ve liked more world building is because I love world building, not because the book really needed it. There were a few times where I would’ve liked more explanation, but those were few. Most of the times all the relevant information was given.

Another thing I want to mention is that I think the story is a bit too short. I think it could’ve easily been 100 pages more and it would’ve been an even better book. Now there were some times the book felt a bit rushed and it seemed like there just wasn’t time to get to understand the characters.

And at least I want to say that the ending was really good, it was really original. I kept guessing how it would end and totally guessed wrong every time. I like it when a story surprises me and this one certainly did.

To conclude: I love the story, it’s great. I would’ve preferred to have more information about the characters, because I had difficulties getting a feel of who they were. Also I would’ve liked a bit more world building, but this certainly isn’t necessary. Also the pace was a bit too fast and the book a bit too short. The story surprised me a few times and I really like that.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Kills Me.

06/26/2012
06/26/2012
10.0% "Wow, that chapter ending was great. really original! and kinda funny too. First chapters are paced a bit too fast, but I am interested to see where the story is going."
06/27/2012
53.0% "Fast paced and interesting story. The story is great. But almost no character development of world building."
show 1 hidden update…