Cathy 's Reviews > Vicious Circle

Vicious Circle by Mike Carey

Oct 18, 08

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, horror, mystery, paranormal, urban, series-reminder
Read in October, 2008, read count: 1

It was great to read a book in this genre that is very well written and imagined. I've been reading Simon R. Green's Nightside series at the same time, and the difference is striking. Although the tone and subject matter are similar (horror, magic, dark tragedy, a paranormal detective-style story set in the modern world), the quality of the talent, or at least effort, is remarkably different. I'm not knocking Nightside, which is an fun series, just noting that Mike Carey is an excellent writer and that this book is complex, engrossing and enjoyable. I would say that it is even better than the first book in the series, The Devil You Know. My only critique is that although I enjoy learning a few new words in a book, I had to look up a few too many to avoid annoyance. Some of that is because of the American/British divide, but it still got on my nerves some, felt like he was being a bit too clever.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vicious Circle.

10/16/2008 page 91
17.77% "Going well so far. Felix and crew are still interesting and the mystery has pulled me in. I'm a little tired of looking up words in the dict"
10/17/2008 page 132
25.78% "It's so enjoyable to read a book by a very talented author. I'm getting very frustrated that the next few books in the series are out in the"