Steve's Reviews > Reading between the Wines

Reading between the Wines by Terry Theise

Jun 26, 12

Recommended for: wine lovers
Read in June, 2012

3 stars is being generous here. A bit too "Zen" for me ("let the wine come to you"). While I enjoyed his stories about wine makers, he seems to be unaware that similar stories (OK< not across as many generations) can be told about wine makers in CA as well.

While he claims that the quality of the wine seems to be an almost spiritual experience, in truth what he is doing is just pumping his own list of imported wines. While the Austrian and German and lighter French wines he presents here are "pleasant" (IMHO), they really are not on the same level as a quality French or Italian - or CA - red, or white for that matter.

While I agree with him about the "Parker-ization" of wines internationally, I do have issues w/ his claim that his favorites are not made in the barrel (like "theirs"), but rather in the field.

An often tiresome book to read (sorry, I guess I just am not as "spiritual" as he is) that is enjoyably contentious, but in the end does not convince.

I've tasted some of his imported wines, and while they are (as above) pleasant, they do not give me a Proustian moment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reading between the Wines.