Brandy's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Oct 14, 2008

bookshelves: 2008reads, library, mystery, teen, boy-books, realistic, friendship
Read in October, 2008

I will not be surprised if this ends up with a Printz Honor, if not the Printz medal. Green's characters are richly developed and real, even the one (Margo) who is a little different to everyone--the one person whose identity can't be nailed down, the one about whom everyone has a different idea. Margo is the kind of girl a guy like Quentin will get obsessed over, after she plucked him from relative obscurity to help her execute a night of revenge-fueled pranks and then disappears the next day. The clues she left behind, the clues she wants--and maybe doesn't want--Quentin to find, it's all part of who Margo is in Quentin's mind. But who she is to Lacey, or Ben, or any of the others, is someone different. Everyone's got their own canvas, their own projections, and in order to find her, everyone will have to put aside what they know of Margo to figure out who she actually is.

Paper Towns hits a lot of the same notes as Green's earlier books, but more subtly, gracefully. Quentin is a list-maker, which is a lot less annoying than reciting famous people's last words (Looking for Alaska) or working out mathematical formulas and using a million footnotes (An Abundance of Katherines). Green writes about male friendship in a way that seems very true and sincere (though never having been a guy I can't say for sure).

My local library is sponsoring an event this week featuring John Green's group Nerdfighters. Unfortunately, I procrastinated on calling and now there's a waiting list, so I may not get to go. Curses!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

Kwoomac Great review. Wish I liked the book.