CaroB's Reviews > The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Apr 23, 14

bookshelves: 2012, 3rdthursbc, adult, drama-angst, favourites, historical
Read from June 21 to 22, 2012

This book was chosen for June's book discussion for the book-club I attend. Firstly, let me say that I find it hard to believe this is a debut author. The central characters, Tom , Isabel, Hannah and Lucy, were heartbreakingly fascinating and the plot was utterly compelling. I know this story will stay with me for a while, coming to mind in the quiet moments when I allow my thoughts to wander... It's a story of how sometimes, in doing right by someone else, we can go against ourselves. It's a story of grief and loneliness, and depicts beautifully how guilt and happiness can both reside in our hearts.

I have loved the writing style. The plot is meticulously woven through the descriptive narrative, and we get a very real sense of the place and time, in all their beauty and limitations, that surrounded the main characters.

Congratulations Ms Stedman on a wonderful piece of literature. I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Oceans.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elishia (new)

Elishia I really love this cover, maybe I should actually see what the books about.

message 2: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay Is this a super sad book, CaroB? A friend wants to know.

CaroB I found it sad, but not super so. I didn't cry, if memory serves. However, someone with personal experience of (view spoiler) might find it so. There's some internal conflict for the reader, wondering what you would do if you had been in that situation, and so many shades of grey with no right answer. I would highly recommend it.