Passion For Pages's Reviews > Immortal

Immortal by Gene Doucette

Jun 23, 12

Read from June 21 to 23, 2012

Review on http://passionforpages.blogspot.ca/20...

When I first heard of Immortal I admit I wasn’t all that interested. Not because I didn’t think it could be a good story but because I didn’t think it was a story I would like.

I was wrong.

I cannot even begin to explain how much I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. The plot was captivating, the characters were interesting, it was funny and amusing – just one of those books I didn’t want to put down and once I had to I couldn’t stop thinking about it. At times I felt like I was getting a history lesson but one that was hilarious and kept me wanting to learn more. Let me tell you, if History was anything like this in high school I wouldn’t have had my daily naps.

Doucette created a character in Adam that just made me smile a lot through the story – even when things are taking a turn for the worse. I’m not usually a fan of novels written in first person, but I loved the way this one was done. The narrative style sucks you in and makes you feel like you’re right there. Adam’s wit and storytelling of the past had me laughing out loud so many times, especially when it came to the “real” versions of how things went down years ago. Like David and Goliath? Not being a religious person myself, I found it utterly comical the way Adam described the “truth” to that little tale.

I really enjoyed how so many supernatural beings were involved in the book also. Vampires, demons, dragons, pixies – loved the pixies! Doucette even brought something different to the table with Jerry, the iffrit. Who, I thought was kind of charming in an offensive sort of way in the beginning.

I also really liked how the plot wasn’t all that predictable. And the stuff that I did figure out before it was revealed I didn’t even care that I knew because I was in such a hurry to get onto the next part.

Adam, the alcoholic immortal, is definitely a win in the fictional world.

**I received an ebook copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal.