Jesse's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Jun 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 22 to 27, 2012

From the minute I added Fifty Shades of Greyto my "currently reading" list, I received messages from goodreads and Facebook friends with attitudes that ranged from bemusement to "I knew you'd read it!" to, in one unfortunate instance, a tone of sincere disgust. Well, I read the book and found it to be a below-average page-turner that manages a couple of excellent scenes of real depth surrounded by otherwise pedestrian writing. Why this book seems to bother people like it does I suppose I'll never know. It's not the worst book I've ever read and I can easily assign it the "escapist summer yarn" that it is and not look back. I am bothered much more when writers of tangible talent (Lev Grossman, I'm talking to you) publish lazy, incoherent messes than I am when an E.L. James publishes a book that serves one purpose: to titillate. Because to my mind, that's what this book is about. It's not about great writing because– apart from two wonderful scenes that almost belong in a different book– there is none. It's not about carefully constructed characterization because the main characters in this novel are maddening in their selfishness, poor decision-making, and unlike-ability. It's about titillation. And as my rating indicates, it was below-average at that. Nonetheless, I've read it and can spout an opinion about it based on my reading and not on hearsay. So for those of you who are angry at the book and its success, get over yourselves. It's not worth your anger.
8 likes · Likeflag

06/23/2012 page 47
06/24/2012 page 149
41.0% 3 comments
show 6 hidden updates…

Mandy Ditto the comment I just made to Tisha, how are you finding it so far, Jesse? I'm nearly 100 pages in and I don't know, not seeing what all the hype is about yet.

Jesse Hi Mandy. I got a kick out of the reaction it got on my Facebook page. LOL! Wow!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie Soooooooo??? I see the two stars...time to spill :)

message 4: by Kris43 (new)

Kris43 Im pleasantly surprised by this. A good objective review without the baggage.

And i learned a new word- titillation:)

Jesse Thanks, Kris!

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Excellent review Jesse...lol, for some reason I thought this was another tedious YA series.

Jesse Oh Sherry, if this was ever shelved in YA there'd be an uproar! LOL!

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Lol! For sure! Having read some pretty amusing reviews of this yesterday I realized just how wrong I was!

message 9: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Nice review, Jesse.

Jesse Thank you, Dustin!

Mandy Great review, Jesse - I think I might copy and paste it as my review, ha ha - joking!