Melissa's Reviews > Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Jul 19, 2012

did not like it
Read from July 09 to 19, 2012

This was our book club choice for July.

I hated every page.

Was it author, Jodi Picoult’s fault? No…she was a master at weaving a story of angst and conflict and emotion among multiple characters.

However masterful she was, I couldn’t tolerate the subject matter or the absolute cruelty inflicted by so many people on one another. It was misery in 500 pages.

Surely there are teenagers out there that are not intent on shooting their classmates, or hating their parents.

Regardless of my dislike of the book – our book discussion was electric with commentary.

So, if you want an engaging discussion – I recommend this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nineteen Minutes.

07/14/2012 page 26
6.0% "Not sure I'm going to make it thru this...wrong place, wrong time." 1 comment
07/15/2012 page 160
35.0% "So depressing..."
07/16/2012 page 252
55.0% "You have no idea how much I hate this book...skipping pages as if it were a jump rope."
07/17/2012 page 455
100.0% "The agony is over...gotcha."

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather I'm still mad at her ridiculously inaccurate portrayal of Salt Lake City. It makes me want to never read her again. Anybody who is sloppy enough to think that people can swim in the deep blue of the Salt Lake, much less DIVE into it while having a refreshing picnic along the lush shore automatically gets disqualified as a decent researcher. Also, the part where they *immediately* run into a polygamist family in downtown SLC made me hate her even more. Haven't quite gotten over it, apparently....

Melissa Honestly...that very post has hovered in my brain the entire time I"ve been reading this. the problem I have with this particular book is the assumption that all teenagers are potential murderers and that the ones that are not, are emotionally distant and mad at their parents. I've only read My Sister's Keeper -- and this is the exact same formula: drama/flashbacks/gotcha ending (and I am assuming that about the ending). But when something works, might as well wear it out.

Melissa Oh...and this is for book club (Jane Nance picked it) otherwise I wouldn't even bother.

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Jul 19, 2012 08:43PM) (new)

Hannah I've heard enough about the kind of books Picoult writes to know without cracking them open that I would HATE them.

Honest review, though, Melissa. You're a better reader then me to stick with it :)

Melissa Thanks Hannah!
If it hadn't been a book club pick...I would have dumped it at about page 25. Emotionally draining and empty.

message 1: by Sarah Lea (new)

Sarah Lea Stories You have to have conflict in a book.