Autumn's Reviews > Alphabet of Thorn

Alphabet of Thorn by Patricia A. McKillip

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: a-world-of-their-own, a-touch-of-romance
Read in March, 2012

As usual, McKillip's language is lovely and the setting magical. I like the story itself, with it's magic and mystery. I also like the idea of a mysterious library full of scholars and translators working with numerous foreign, and sometimes forgotten, languages. Interesting to have a main character be a language lover.

While many of the characters are interesting, I found Kane and Axis to be spoiled, arrogant and greedy with no thought for anyone else. That may be the point, but I felt it weakened Kane and made it a bit tricky to feel sympathy and trust for her later. And the infidelity is off-putting and does nothing to add sympathy for or connection to the characters.

My favorite character was Tessera. I love how she finds her own strength and confidence, and totally shocks those who have no confidence in her intelligence or abilities. She is also the most moral and chaste, which is refreshing in a book full of characters who are otherwise. Her triumphs feels worthy of her role as queen, both to herself and everyone else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alphabet of Thorn.