Mona's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I read this book a long time ago, when I was ten years old. I remembered nothing from it except thinking it was really, really good. And here I am, thirteen years later. I picked it up again because I was curious about what my reaction would be to it now.

The book follows three years in the life of Scout Finch, her brother Jem, their father Atticus, and their fictional town of Maycomb, Alabama, in the era of the Great Depression. The first half of the novel focuses mainly on Scout and Jem's childhood - their friend Dill, their fixation on their neighbor "Boo" Radley, and their experiences at school. The second part of the book is marked both by the ongoing trial of a black man accused of raping a white woman, whom Atticus has been called to defend, and the repercussions this trial has on the children's eventual coming of age.

I loved this book. Both parts of the book are very well-done, and although each seems to be separate at first, Lee does a great job of weaving in themes from the first into the second. The children have very child-like perspectives. They do not seem adult beyond their years. Every character - particularly each of the Finches - is distinctive. I liked how Atticus shows depth. He is not heroic simply because of who he is defending as an attorney but his entire outlook on the case and its significance to his family and career. This book seems so simple, but it's about several things at once - racism, injustice, social status, innocence, accusation, and experience.

I feel like I had a million things I wanted to say about this book, but I can't remember half of what they were, mostly because the copy I had was from the library and I had to return it. Let me just say this: wow. And also, this is going to the top of my very short "must-buy" list. I may even buy two copies - one to highlight in, and one just to keep.

Quotes Mona Liked

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”

Harper Lee
“I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.”

Harper Lee
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Harper Lee
“They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”

Harper Lee
“Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.”

Harper Lee
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sunny I was 10 when I read it two years ago.

Felicity Flutter I had the same experience of reading this many years apart and felt I should have revisited it before. It is just a wonderful book definitely on my 'best reads' list.

Poppy Sinolinggo I was 14 when i picked this up and it was so long ago that i only remember bits and pieces of it. But I remembered taking my own time reading it as i did not want the book to end and i loved the characters so much. I am going to revisit it soon tofind out what is was that made my 14 y.o self fall in love with this book in the first place.

Chiodo1535 To Kill a Mockingbird, so far, is a pretty interesting novel. The setting of this book informs you on the customs and opinions of the people in that time period. In addition, throughout the book you learn what characters are mockingbirds. For example, Atticus, Boo Radley, and Tom are mockingbirds. They are people who don't cause harm to anyone but are talked about throughout the town. From this I think we learn who are the mockingbirds around us. In the end To Kill a Mockingbird is a exciting book and I can't wait to see what happens next.