Nash's Reviews > Smokeless Fire

Smokeless Fire by Samantha Young

Jun 21, 2012

bookshelves: so-much-tension-it-hurts, supernatural
Read in July, 2012

How lucky can I get to chance upon Amy Bartol’s tweet about Samantha Young‘s “Fire Spirits” series? You can never go wrong once your favorite author recommends a book that you must read!

Here are my puny thoughts–

1. Smokeless Fire is a good diversion to the usual paranormal/supernatural/fantasy young adult books that I’ve read. It basically merges the human world in the realm of the Jinn, or what they call the Fire Spirits. In layman’s term, they are roughly what we perceive as Genies. But no, there are no belly dancing involved or magic lamp-rubbing actions. What the book has is the War of the Flames. And you know it can get dirty with powerful Jinn titans fighting over power, trying to dethrone one over the other.

2. It’s been a while since I’ve rooted for a heroine. I like Ari Johnson’s character. I like her attitude. I like how she deals with stuff. Even with the weirdest stuff that she could not even comprehend. I don’t even have to wrack my brain and produce explanations out of nowhere just to try to understand the actions of a character. I like her tenacity over the things that she ought to bring back. Simply put, I like her. And man, is she hotttt.

3. Charlie. I could not even begin to talk about him. He was the sweetest torture a friend could have. I know it’s a painful setup, but the lost and damaged friendship of Charlie and Ari was, I think, beautiful. Maybe I really am a masochist but Ari’s determination to resurrect her friend was overwhelming, yet tormenting. Oh yes, I cried buckets for this sweet dark thing.

4. And don’t even start with Jai Bitar on me! This badass Ginnaye rocks my socks! AND SHIT. THE TENSION BETWEEN HIM AND ARI WAS EXCRUCIATINGLY GOOOOOD FOR MY LIKING. I want to taste his lips and melt in his embrace. WAHAHAHA.

5. This book was an excellent setup to Ari, Charlie and Jai’s destinies. Well, of course, it’s Ari’s battle, but the boys have their own baggage, ye know. I did not expect a massive conflict and resolution in the end and I thought the pacing did justice to Ari’s relaunch in the world of Jinn. It was just right. Perfect, even.

So to you, my friend, I recommend you to check this out if you’re fed up with the usual type of YA fiction! It’s damn good!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smokeless Fire.