Edith's Reviews > Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son

Jun 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: memoir
Read in June, 2012

Anne Lamott is down to earth and has a knack for writing about what it’s like being in the trenches of life and still hanging onto your faith that God is in everything and has a plan. I think her knack is that in writing about her emotions and experiences, she strikes that sympathetic cord in us that says, ‘yes, I understand just what you’re saying- I’ve had those very same feelings’.

That being said, she really can obsess excessively and go on and on about her issues--which in this book is mostly about keeping the grandson born to her 20-year-old son and his girlfriend nearby and available to her to love and see develop. I can sympathize with her, though, because I am already sad that my recently married daughter who wants many children does not live in the same state as I....how can I be a good and present grandmother without living in the same town? Haven’t worked that out yet.

Also, I do wish she would edit some of the mean cracks directed towards the political right that she sticks in here and here--there are usually a couple in each book which are beneath her, I think. Aim higher, sister.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Assembly Required.

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I have also enjoyed some of Lamott's earlier books but have stopped reading her because of how she inserts her strong political views in a mean and biased way. It's unnecessary and makes her seem too narrow minded.

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I didn't know one of your daughters recently married! Congratulations to her...which one and where does she reside?

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Actually it was one of Edith's daughters, Angelica. She and her husband live in the Richmond, VA area. In July Henrietta's son, Stephen is getting married and in August our daughter, Kirsten is getting married.