Beth's Reviews > A Short Guide to a Happy Life

A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen

Oct 14, 08

Read in October, 2008

So if you have time to read this book review, I’d venture that you also have time to read this book. ;-) I read the whole thing while putting the kids down for a nap. No, not while they were napping — while they were getting ready to nap. (Granted, it does take forever to convince Logan to try to nap. He’s kind of growing out of them.)

This book is titled A Short Guide to a Happy Life, and Quindlen’s not kidding about the “short” part: fifty pages, all double-spaced with huge margins, many of those pages filled with beautiful photography.

I kind of wished it was longer.

When I read I Am a Mother (Jane Clayson Johnson), I was struck by the number of quotes from Anna Quindlen. Her name sounded familiar — I know I’ve run across her quotations elsewhere before (though I can’t exactly remember where). I perused the library catalog and picked this book of hers (there were several — she’s a writer!) to put on hold.

The message in this was a beautiful one: life is in the moments, and we should enjoy the simplicity of them. Don’t get so caught up in your to-do list or your job that you miss out on what’s really important.

And I can see why Johnson couldn’t resist quoting Quindlen over and over; nearly every paragraph was “quotable.” Here’s my favorite:

A simple book with a simple message — and yet with such lasting consequences.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short Guide to a Happy Life.

Quotes Beth Liked

Anna Quindlen
“Life is made up of moments, small pieces of glittering mica in a long stretch of gray cement. It would be wonderful if they came to us unsummoned, but particularly in lives as busy as the ones most of us lead now, that won’t happen. We have to teach ourselves how to make room for them, to love them, and to live, really live.”
Anna Quindlen, A Short Guide to a Happy Life