Wendy's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Oct 14, 08

I'd already written this review in my head, only to find that half my friends list has already marked it to-read, so no need for some of the things I was going to say.

I'm not sure what you call this book--a high-quality Gothic? It has some similarities to Daphne Du Maurier and other writers of that kind.

This was really enjoyable; I stopped reading it a few times and went to do something else for awhile, just so it would last longer. I loved the book-obsessed narrator instantly, and I miss reading about her.

Probably good airplane or relaxation-type reading for my sisters, and all of you who have it on your to-reads, do go ahead and read it. Not recommended for Melody, though. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melody (new)

Melody Thanks for the warning. :-)

message 2: by CLM (new) - added it

CLM Two weeks ago I was at a wedding where my book group was sharing a table with the bride's mother-in-law's book group: they had just finished reading this and had loved it. Clearly, my group needs to read it soon! I was torn between this and The Mathematics of Love, and chose the latter when it was my turn.