Miah D 's Reviews > Son

Son by Lois Lowry

Jun 21, 2012

Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert **

The fourth and final episode of lois lowry's The Giver series, Son weaves together all the characters faithful readers have met over the past fifteen years. Son is told in three parts: Before, Between, and Beyond. Each part has a different setting and purpose. In Before, we are taken all the way back to the Community, before Jonas eve has his Ceremony of Twelve. Here we meet Claire, who, we eventually learn, is Gabes birthmother. Consumed by the love she didn't even know she can feel, Claire's mission becomes to find Gabe. This unyielding desire propels the novel through the next two parts. The second pard, Between, take place during the same time Gabe is growing up--though we don't know that yet. Claire uses this time to build the strength, and confidence, she will need to find Gabe.

It is in this part that the true antagonist is revealed. The antagonist isn't even mentioned until well into the book, about 2/3 of the way through. Even then, his presence is a shadow, there but not a driving force. In fact, the reader my not even be sure whom he is until pretty close to the end of the novel.

The third part, Beyond, shifts points of view from Claire to Gabe. She becomes a minor-major character whose voice we no longer hear. Jonas is reintroduced and we finally get to hear from the boychild who was stolen from the Community so many years before. Like Clair, Gabe is driven to find the love he has never known--the love of his mother. The series concludes with Gabe doing what needs to be done to make both his and Claire's wish com true.

Satisfying conclusion.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son.