Abigail's Reviews > Messenger

Messenger by Lois Lowry

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: dystopias, bea-supplement-2012, fantasy, social-critique, read-2012
Read on June 20, 2012, read count: 1

Now I finished "Gathering Blue" just before bed and was quite unsettled. When I woke up the next morning I picked up "Messenger." Before too long the discontent feeling I got with "Gathering Blue" dissipated and I accepted what had happened and moved on.

While I felt better about this book, some things still bothered me. First and foremost, I felt like I was reading a children's version of "One Hundred Years of Solitude" as there was the Village, founded by a group of of people who wanted to escape their horrible communities and find a better place to live and to help each other and for a time everything was grand, then enter corruption. The Game Machine in "Messenger" reminded me of the various things that came though the village in "One Hundred Years of Solitude" specifically the magical realism toys and rides that came to be. (It's been 10 years since I read "Solitude" please forgive me if some of the details are wrong.) So corruption entered the Village and needed to be fought back. At it's heart "Messenger" is the most clear cut good vs. evil books of Lois Lowry's series.

I also liked the lesson it learned that nothing comes without sacrifice. In addition, it was good to get a glimpse of Gabe and see what happened to Jonas. I got into an argument with my coworker while discussing these books and he because so upset to find out they were sequeals because he loved the ambiguity at the end of "The Giver." What's odd is with the ambiguous ending, he saw it as Jonas and Gabe died where I saw it as there was hope for them at the end. And while I wanted to know what happened to them ever since I finished reading it years ago, I think now that I know, I would have liked it to stay ambiguous, and that my coworker was right that it loses something now that we know what happens to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Messenger.