Lydia Presley's Reviews > Tell the Wolves I'm Home

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary, coming-of-age, favorites, fiction
Read from June 21 to 22, 2012

Tell the Wolves I'm Home is a quiet little book with a message that should be shouting to be heard. Hidden behind a story of a big issue (AIDS) is a story about the complicated relationships between uncles and nieces, sisters and brothers, sisters and sisters, and children and parents. Add into the mix an unknown entity and memories and pain and you get a story that has a heartbeat that is impossible to ignore.

In Tell the Wolves I'm Home, we're told a story from the perspective of young, 14 year old June. Every Sunday she, her sister, and her mother make their way to her mother's brother's house where he is painting a portrait of the sisters. He's dying, you see, and June is so very close to him and feels his soon-to-be-absence keenly.

But Finn, her uncle, has his secrets as well, and June is faced with them after he passes away. It's how June deals with these secrets and her family where the book begins to speak loudly. I read this story through tears - and I'm not often moved by contemporary stories. It tore at my heartstrings and I raged at the injustice shown by the characters while realizing that those same injustices happen every day here in life. Carol Rifka Brunt has taken on a difficult subject and tackled it strongly, clearly, and with an extraordinary amount of empathy and I closed this book reluctantly - unwilling to say goodbye to its characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tell the Wolves I'm Home.