Wendy's Reviews > A Stolen Life

Jun 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from June 21 to 22, 2012

A Stolen Life proves that the basic human instinct to survive can get you through just about anything.

I rated this book 3 out of 5 based on the reading experience alone.

It's an indisputable fact that this was a tragedy beyond what any one person should have to endure and I give Jaycee Dugard all my respect and compassion for allowing all of us insight into the horrible circumstances surrounding her kidnapping and years of confinement.

That being said, the book wasn't what I expected. I was prepared to be teary eyed and ready to forge through the hate that I was bound to feel toward the people who took years from such a young life. However, I felt like there was a detachment between Jaycee and the words she wrote. Maybe understandably so. How else could someone write about such things. It just didn't hold the emotion that usually gets to me when reading these kind of memoirs. It may be attributed to the child like writing style trying to convey an adult's feelings and perspectives.

I think The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls has a better writing style that conveyed more feeling and allowed the reader to enter the writers world. A Stolen Life would have benefited from the same writing style.

I have a feeling this was more of a source of therapy for her.

I wish her and her family peace and hope she can regain at least some of what was lost to her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stolen Life.

06/21/2012 page 75