Lesli's Reviews > Thank You, Dr Lamaze

Thank You, Dr Lamaze by Marjorie Karmel

Oct 14, 08

Read in October, 2008

Thank you, Dr Lamaze by Marjorie Karmel. It was a very interesting and informative. It has been a great supplement to the Lamaze class, and since she explains how she learned the breathing exercises I understand them a lot better than just going to the class. I've learned to breath into my lungs fully since the book, if I'm taking deep breaths I am usually a stomach breather.
In a way it has shown me just how far the "medical community" has come in letting woman have children, but in a way I think, its been 60 years and we still are doing this?! First off I wonder, why is the US's hospital system so behind the times when it comes to women birthing babies in comparison to other industrialized nations? It was behind in the 1950s and it is still behind today. Second off, I hate when nurses say, "do you want a little something to take the edge off?" Apparently this phrase has been in practice for over 60 years. I probably hate it, because Demerol does not take the edge off for me, it made me nausea, out of sorts, and all sorts of yucky, with the pain just as strong. I couldn't wait until the something to take the edge off had worn off. I very much enjoyed the book. The book made me extremely nervous at some points, making me think a natural birth is impossible, because it shares horror stories, but it left me with the last impression I can do this! (Please no comments telling me I can, I hate that.)
I would totally recommend the book, to anyone considering natural childbirth. Although I also hate that phrase, it implies childbirth with drugs is unnatural or medical intervention is unnatural. I think the phrase should be drug free childbirth. Anything that keeps the baby and mother living is a good thing in my opinion, and unnatural sounds so negative. Another aside, reading the book would not be enough for drug free it is just a nice supplement.
I'm now actually really excited to go into labor after 37 weeks, not before, to see if I can do it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thank You, Dr Lamaze.

message 1: by Zinger (new)

Zinger Your comments about why the U.S. is so far behind and why demoral (an alternative drug for heroine addicts) is used for birthing, read the book "The Politics of Cancer Therepy" by G. Edward Griffin. It's the story of how the pharmaceutical industry, using the power of tax-exempt foundations, was able to gain control over the nation's medical schools and, eventually, over the medical profession. It explains why surgery, drugs, and radiation have become the treatment of choice for cancer, and why non-drug alternatives are often branded as quackery.

Yep, the same families that run the Federal Reserve, the CFR, and own the media.
The website is therealityzone.com and has some speeches that are free that explain the same thing.

message 2: by Trina (new)

Trina I wold recommend the book, "Childbirth Without Fear" by Grantly Dick-Read. He's the one that coined the phrase 'Natural Childbirth' and did not intend for it to mean only childbirth without drugs or intervention. He meant it to mean childbirth without, oh bother, I forgot the word he used, it's been too long since I've read it.
The first half of the book is a little tedious to read, since it is written to MD's, but still interesting, if a bit outdated. The second half I found much more readable and interesting. If you can find a copy of the book (it is out of print, I found one at the library, though), then you may want to read the second half first.
I really think it's one of the best books out there about labor and delivery.