Jenn O'Brien's Reviews > The Wedding Dress

2054052
Jun 21, 2012

liked it
Read from June 21 to 25, 2012

As a whole, this was a good story, I liked the characters (especially in 1912) and I liked the concept of figuring out the history of the wedding dress; but somewhere along the line, I think this book suffers from a little bit from identity crisis. It cannot figure out if it wants to be a mystery, a contemporary romance, a historical romance, a Christian fiction, a supernatural fantasy, or commentary on social inequality. It felt like too many cooks adding an ingredient to the pot and you turn out with something where the flavors do not mesh well.

When the story begins, the reader has two primary characters - present day bridal shop owner and a 1912 bride. The narration point-of-view jumps between the two character … I liked that part well enough, but then for we jump into the would be groom’s point-of-view - huh? Where did that come from?

The one thing I didn’t like was the reader learns the end of the 1912 story before the characters in 1912 learn the ending to their own story. For me at least, that spoiled the ending of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding Dress.

02/18/2016 marked as: read

Andrea Great review. I thought all the same things.

Rhonda Graves Cottrell Completely agree!! I was so surprised, and disappointed, when that happened!

Stephony I too felt the same way at the time that I read about the events of 1912. But then I realized the biggest mystery was finding out about charlotte's family connections. I truly truly enjoyed this book. Some nights I couldn't put it down.