Susan's Reviews > Home

Home by Toni Morrison

Jun 21, 12

Read in June, 2012

Although HOME does not meet the quality or depth of A Mercy, Toni Morrison's new book is still a "good read." I can't call it "delightful," because none of Toni Morrison's books are really "delightful." Rather, they embody the depth of emotion, of loss, of love gone really wrong, of abuse, of post-traumatic stress -- and many other emotions.

What I find fascinating about HOME is that Toni Morrison is equally able to understand a veteran's wandering mind as she is.... a slave child of 400 years ago. She has, I have said before, a truly uncanny ability to understand human emotions at levels no on else, in my opinion, can come close to explaining. Her closest competitor in the last generation would have to be Faulkner.

But there really is no other Toni Morrison -- although Wally Lamb might run a close second.
As with all Morrison books, the reader has to truly read and re-read to understand. Toni makes you work -- but wow!

As with all of her books, I think you'll re-read HOME. It's not SULA or BELOVED, but it is Toni Morrison, and she is still my hero!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.