Leigh's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Jun 21, 2012

liked it
Read from June 29 to 30, 2012

This is one of those enthralling stories with so many twists and turns that is smartly written and cleverly planned. . . . yet somewhat disappointing in the end. I read the entire 413 pages in one nice long lazy day, enjoying turning pages, trying to figure it out, savoring every minute, and then just mildly satisfied with the ending. Flynn should have taken another month or ten to craft a stronger ending that would have been more worthy of the rest of this delicious novel. It was such an entertaining read that it needed a spectacular ending, but instead felt like she just needed to "wrap it up" to get it to her publisher. She's obviously very smart - I think she can do better.

The two halves of the book are also somewhat disjointed. The first half is serious, intriguing and lays the groundwork for a good mystery; the second half takes a completely different tone and the characters become almost cartoonish and a little humorous as psychotic neuroses are revealed. It reminded me of Crazy in Alabama by Mark Childress in that I was unsure if Flynn wanted the reader to be sympathetic with a murderer - were we supposed to be hoping the murderer would get away with it? (No spoilers there, promise!)

But, DO read it - it is a very interesting story, quite unexpected. You will not be bored. It's not timeless or artistic or educational or enlightening, but it is very entertaining. If you're getting on a long transatlantic flight or have a similar need to distract yourself for 10-12 continuous hours with one thing to keep your attention, this might be a good choice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.