Nathanael (Boehm) Coyne's Reviews > How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business

How to Measure Anything by Douglas W. Hubbard

Sep 21, 12

bookshelves: work-related, favourite
I own a copy

This book made me realise how ignorant I was about the fundamentals of statistics and scientific observation. I no longer fear quantitative information now that I understand that pursuing exact values is often futile and that educated estimates wrapped in a confidence interval can be more useful and more readily obtained. It has really changed the way I look at analysing information and drawing conclusions from both quantitative and qualitative information to input into my design and evaluation activities. This looks like a boring book but it's an easy read, well-written and the first book on maths and statistics that is both interesting and applicable in all facets of life from preparing executive reports to estimating the time needed to complete a project and even to doing the shopping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Measure Anything.

Quotes Nathanael Liked

Douglas W. Hubbard
“If a measurement matters at all, it is because it must have some conceivable effect on decisions and behaviour. If we can't identify a decision that could be affected by a proposed measurement and how it could change those decisions, then the measurement simply has no value”
Douglas W. Hubbard, How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of "Intangibles" in Business

07/30/2012 page 40
13.0% "When I received this book I flipped through and thought "Oh dear lord what have I got myself into!" but so far it's easy to read, well-written and is having a significant impact on my understanding and misconceptions of "measurement" and I'm confident that knowledge gained from this book will profoundly change how I do design in future. I'm loving it!"