Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Finding Home

Finding Home by Lauren Baker

Jan 18, 13

bookshelves: new-adult-college, contemporary-romance, dark-or-taboo
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy Read w/Kristina
Recommended for: People who wanted a just a little more depth from stories like Thoughtless and Crash
Read in January, 2013

Note : I am shelving this as NA due to character ages, but this book has several explicit sex scenes. Adult content will be present in this review.
"Help? They can help by coming on down here and giving me a hundred bucks for a fuck. That's how they can help. I need cash, hear what I'm saying? Not some do-good bitches trying to get me off the street."

3.5 stars. I think I need to break out some antacids because Finding Home gave me serious heartburn. I am not kidding when I say that I was this close to going with a 2 star rating. People, this book CREEPED me the heck out. If the last 50 or so pages hadn't shown real growth and maturity, I wouldn't have ended up liking this one as much as I did. Thank goodness for that ending.
"That's how it's done here. Nothing ever changes. Nothing you write will ever change it."

Even with all of the initial shock, this book was actually captivating, touching, emotional and yes...even beautiful in parts. Sean was truly a diamond in the rough. This story is definitely a diamond in the rough. Are you confused yet? Well so am I. This book defines love/hate for me. I'm completely surprised that Finding Home hasn't gotten buzz right along with the other popular high-intensity/high-drama books that have made the rounds. In many ways, this book has more depth than many of the back-and-forth cheating books.
He shrugged. "I'm good at blowjobs."
"So it became your nickname?"
"Yeah, well it's better than Ass, don't you think?"

Finding Home is a story about a 23 year old female reporter who is assigned to work on a news story revolving around underage boys living on the streets and their life of prostitution. Megan and Sean (Mouth) form a tentative relationship based on mutual need - he of money, her of information. This relationship then starts to head down a difficult path.
She didn't know where commerce stopped and camaraderie began.

This was my train of thought as I was reading the first half.
Oh my. This is going to be a sad book.
*gasp!* Those poor kids!
Wait, is the reporter chick getting aroused by staring at the underage boy's ass?
Okay, BACK THE TRAIN UP. WRONG. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.
Sheesh. She's ALWAYS aroused around this person she considers to be a kid.
Is is sad that I find this book extremely interesting?
Seriously. This chick is creeping me out.
Uh...is this going where I think it's going?
Please, no. Please, no more angst.
OH NO THEY DIDN'T.

This was my train of thought while I was reading the second half.
Well, this is going to get tricky.
Is it sad that I find this book extremely arousing?
How are they going to get around these problems?
OH NO HE DIDN'T.
Sigh. I think I'm going to be waiting and hoping.
*sob* WHY?!?
My heart...the feels...
Now this is just sweet. They've done a lot of growing up.
FIN.

My head hurts. I was buddy reading this with a friend and I did complain that the first half of this book was extremely squicky to me. This story did not have enough of a slow build to ease us into becoming comfortable with the age difference. I won't go into legality or double standards of which is more acceptable, depending on which sex is the older person in the relationship. Was I uncomfortable with this? Yes - which is strange because one of my favorite book couples is a 17 year old female and a 24 year old male - but that situation felt like more of a natural and slow-build between peers (to me). In this situation, I had a hard time with accepting the attraction BECAUSE Megan viewed Sean as younger. BECAUSE Megan viewed Sean as a kid at times. BECAUSE Megan felt the need to have to save him. Was the relationship supposed to be more of an older sibling mentoring a younger sibling, or was there another reason why Megan was so attracted to this 'boy' she wanted to save?

Even though I was completely entertained and had a hard time putting down the book, I was still frustrated. How were these two people ever going to become a healthy, functioning couple? Was it even possible?

I will not spoil whether or not these two figure out a way to make it work, but I will say that both characters showed true growth in the end. This is why I was able to finally come down off of that ledge of tension and come to grips with being okay with everything. Bad judgement calls happen - I can handle that. As long as we're seeing people who work through their issues and try to learn something from them, that's about all I can ask for.

Other than my squicky complaints about the first half, I thought this was a solid read. I wish that there had been more of the 'lost boys' story covered because it sort of died out once Sean and Megan started spending more time together. This book could have run with the gritty aspect and I'm sort of sad that it didn't.
"You find me sexy, but you can't face fucking me because of what I am."

If you love books filled with lots of emotional turmoil, this is one you're going to want to check out. If you can't get enough of books which tease you with extreme amounts of sexual tension, then eventually reward you with some sweet, sweet, gratification by stamping that booty card PAID IN FULL (again and again), you'll want to check this out (the sex was definitely smokin'). If you can handle some crazy, eye-rolling behavior to start, knowing that it won't always be this way...I say go for it! This might not be a traditional romance, but the book will get your heart pounding, nevertheless.
"Sometimes...I think maybe you saved my life."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Home.

01/16/2013
8.0% ""What you lookin' for girl? Maybe I got it." He grinned, revealing a missing front tooth that made him look like a second grader - a slightly dangerous and sexually potent second grader." 10 comments
01/17/2013
65.0% "Uh...what just happened? I thought I was reading a gritty YA issues book and ended up getting a smutty adult book instead. For some reason, I assumed that the "explicit sex" warning would have something to do with Sean's prostitution. It's not that I'm necessarily complaining...but we'll just have to call this a very unexpected twist, perhaps?" 1 comment
01/17/2013
65.0% "Hmm...my last update might have bordering on spoiler-ish, but I can't tell. I'll leave it, but cover it up with another one.

This book is making my head hurt, in both good and bad ways. It's as if Thoughtless and Crash had a lovechild." 2 comments

Tina Message me when you start! I'd like to do a buddy read.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Would you be able to wait until later in the month?

Tina Yup! I'm trying to finish the Outlander series. But I'm finding taking pauses between them helps me cope better lol!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Which book are you on in the Outlander series? I still need to pick up book 4 at some point, but I haven't been in the mood for extremely long books lately.

I can read this any time from about the 16th on.

Tina I've just finished Drums of Autumn a few days ago. Need to pick up book five, I think it's Fiery Cross. Love them so far, but definitely need a break! I just finished Consequences, debating if I want to suffer through the sequel to find out what happens.

And I'm ready when you are! 16th is good! I've never really done a buddy read, so do we set a pace or just let each other know when we're done? LOL excuse my rookie questions!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) No worries. I usually take about 2 to 3 days for a buddy read, but don't expect anyone to stay on pace. If you read it faster or slower, it's no biggie. We can just discuss where we're both up to.

Usually, I just chat with people back and forth on our reviews and/or updates.

So, it looks like we're on for the 16th then? If so, I'll mark it on my list. :)

I still haven't had the motivation to pick up the sequel to Consequences. I keep hearing that it's better than the first book, but I felt like reading the first one was such a chore. Maybe that's just me though, since most everyone else seemed to love it.

Tina Yah, I actually didn't want to because I saw your review, but saw a ton of other ones, and decided to read it. It was painful to get through, skimmed from 60 to about 90 percent. Don't know if I'll pick up the second or just read what happens in someone's spoilers.

Great, 16th it is!!

message 8: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza I have almost bought this one so many times. If you like it, I'll probably give it a shot. :0)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm only one chapter in, so we'll see. I have to admit to being curious about how male prostitution will be portrayed in this. Most books tend to show more of the escort side of things, not the down and dirty street side. Other than one book I know of, but I can't say what it was or it would be a spoiler.

Riana Elizabeth Your progress blurb was disconcerting enough that I'm adding this book to my "To Read" list. Please let me know if it should continue to stay there!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Okay, I liked this one. Yes, I was freaked out to start, but the second half took some of the sting away.

PLUS IT HAD

Haha. I want to sparkle in ecstasy.

message 12: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza Okay, I'm sold. Just downloaded it, but probably won't get to any ecstasy sparkles until the end of next week. Damn!

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Very great review, Stacia. Now I remember what had put me off in the first place. It was the age difference that worried me. I'm probably picking this up again soon. And I totally understand the feels.. even from the first half, I felt so sad for those kids.

Riana Elizabeth LOL! Okay, on the shelf it stays! Thanks!

message 15: by TheBookofJules (new)

TheBookofJules Stacia, this review was absolutely fabulous! I hadn't even heard of this book but now I have this unending urge to pick it up :)

message 16: by Richa (new) - added it

Richa Wonderful, lovely review, Stacia!! Definitely adding this! :))

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. :)

Anna, I was actually surprised that there wasn't more of the street world in the book. After a few chapters, that part of the story went away. I agree with you that the age difference was a touchy spot...especially given that they were never really shown as peers or on equal footing.

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Fantastic review, Stacia. :)

"Which is strange because one of my favorite book couples is a 17 year old female and a 24 year old male - but that situation felt like more of a natural and slow-build between peers (to me)."

Totally understand this. I had the same feeling with On The Island--I thought for sure I'd be squicked out but the author made it work.

message 19: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 18, 2013 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Rachel. I think On The Island worked so well because of the slow build and how it showed the struggles that the couple were forced to work through together.

This book was harder to fully accept because she was lusting after him in one moment, then comparing him to a kid in the next. It was too much of a contradiction, that there was no way to avoid feeling uneasy at times.

message 20: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza What is the book with the 17 yr old female and 24 yr old male? I'll have to add it to my tbr if I haven't read it yet. :0)

Stacia (the 2010 club) VA? I know you've read that, haha.

Although, with the sheer amount of student/teacher books I've read, there's been a lot of big age gaps in books.

message 22: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza Oh, darn. I was hoping it was something I hadn't discovered yet. VA is the best student/teacher book of them all. Well, there is another good one, but if I tell you which one, that would be a spoiler all on it's own.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Put it in tags. I don't mind being spoiled.

VA is the best, I agree. But that's because I also adore the characters and story, apart from the student/teacher thing.

Sorry it wasn't something new! There are only a few excellent student/teacher books. There are far more bad ones on this subject than good ones. Now I'm trying to think of ones that were romanticized that I liked. I know there has to be at least one or two that I liked, outside of erotica. Most of the compelling student/teacher books are when it shows the relationship as taboo/abusive.

message 24: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza (view spoiler) this one didn't delve into taboo territory, it's more one of those feel good/bad books that plays on your emotions, but I really enjoyed it.

message 25: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 18, 2013 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, I already think I might have known that, so it's no biggie anyway. It's strange that I haven't read anything of hers. I think I'm afraid to because the second people know I'm reading it, people will be saying that they hope I love it - that's some pressure, haha.

I was tempted to read Gabriel's Inferno, but I think I'm at the point where if it's fanfic, I'll probably be giving it a pass, unless there's something that really stands out. I'm not a hardcore anti-fanfic person, but I'm kind of over the p2p thing.

message 26: by Rebecca (last edited Jan 18, 2013 01:29PM) (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza I tried GI, but didn't like it at all. You've got to do what I've been doing lately, don't post that you're reading it until you're sure you are willing to commit, either good or bad. I've read a couple the last few weeks that were so bad, I couldn't say anything because it would have sounded like I was just trying to be mean when other people were loving them so much. I think I've got a screw missing that makes me more cynical.

Oh, if you do try it out and not love it, let me know. I would never be upset if you weren't feeling it, just because I think it's good, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. :0)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I have actually done that before, where I won't even post that I'm reading a book until I've already finished the review, out of fear that I might not be liking something that everyone else loves.

Not that I want people to hold back on telling me that they hope I'll like it because I like it when friends want to chat books. It's impossible for everyone to like the same thing and I enjoy reading reviews from friends who loved books that I wasn't feeling. I just get nervous, you know?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I just over-used the word like in that last post.

message 29: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza What's p2p? I've been seeing that lately, but don't know what it means.

message 30: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Espinoza It's okay, the "like" thing. I always do that, or I'll say the word book 20 times in a review.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I KNOW. Every time I read a finished review I check how many times I've said 'like, love, book, story, and that.' Those are words I use far too often. If I catch it, I try to swap out a few for other terms, but it's hard to catch it in your own writing.

message 32: by Mara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mara I thought I liked the book until I realised the author did a poor job of showing how Megan connected with Sean on anything other than a physical level. Am I the only one annoyed with the fact every time she thought about her feelings towards him all she did was get aroused because of his physique? It prevented me from liking her and being able to justify her sleeping with a boy younger than her kid brother.

Shana Gabriel's Inferno was different. It was one of those books that the whole time I was reading it I considered putting it on hold but for some reason I just had to finish it and read both in the series. I found it very formal (if that makes sense) and it was more literature-ish than most of the books I've read. I don't think I realized it was a fan-fic though. What was it a fan-fic of? I did not really get an Edward vibe from it.

Shana Great review btw!

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) Wow, Great review! I am not sure if I am dying to read it or a little put off. But sometimes those books make the most memorable reads! :)

Linda Great review. I absolutely agree with everything that you said.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks friends. :)

Shana, I thought it was another twi-fic, but I can't be sure if that was the inspiration or not. I do know that it is some form of fanfic though.

Mara wrote: "I thought I liked the book until I realised the author did a poor job of showing how Megan connected with Sean on anything other than a physical level. Am I the only one annoyed with the fact every..."

That was the exactly the part I was referencing when I'd mentioned how creeped out I was during the first half. It was a very disturbing situation and I honestly thought there was no way I'd end up liking the book in the end, so I completely understand where you're coming from and know why not everyone is going to be a fan of this book. Normally, I'd have nit-picked that even harder, but I felt like they'd grown up together by the time the book was over, so I felt like she made up for some of the bad behavior from the start.

message 38: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina " I think maybe its good that it hurts." " I don't want to fuck around and waste any more time."

Every other quote you posted I highlighted too. They definitely did grow up by the end. (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I thought it was going to end like that too. The ending was a little bit of a surprise.

message 40: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Wow, I hadn't heard anything about this book, but your review has me intrigued. I might have to give this a try... Thanks!

Stacia (the 2010 club) If you read it, you'll have to let me know what you think.

message 42: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Will do. Did you read On The Island? It sounds nothing alike in the situation except for the age difference thing, but I loved that one!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I loved On The Island as well. That one was a better book because the relationship was not rushed. This one made you feel a little uncomfortable because the chick was acting creepy at first. It got better toward the end though.

message 44: by Brenna (new) - added it

Brenna Yeah it sounds really different, but that popped into my head right away. This one seems like one that might get a reaction out of me and confuse my emotions, those are fun sometimes...

message 45: by Laura (last edited Jan 22, 2013 07:37AM) (new) - added it

Laura Hi Stacia. Great review! I can’t decide whether to read this one or not. Haha…I suppose I should since I already bought it. Bad, bad BUY finger. Always clicking. ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Misbehaving finger!

Serena This book was one of my favorites. Was in my tbr for a long time. But when I did loved it. Glad to see you liked it as well.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm glad Kristina wanted to read it with me, or I might not have had the chance. It turned out good. :)

Tanya Your review speaks to me because I'm still in the squicky portion of it (and from what you've written I'm looking forward to the squicky part to be over). I'm at about 15% on my Kindle and I have no idea where this story is going, but I can't stop reading it, so I guess that's a good thing. lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) Every so often you get those books where you don't know how to feel about it or if you even like the thing but you can't put the darn book down. I get that. Had one of those last week.

« previous 1