Laura Hartley's Reviews > Against All Odds

Against All Odds by Aliaa El-Nashar

Jun 21, 12

Read in June, 2012

I haven't read a YA romance in quite a while so I was excited to get my teeth into Against All Odds. It seemed to me like your stereotypical teen romance; however, there were, to my surprise, some deeper family issues addressed as well.

I thought the first half of the novel was very good. A wide variety of characters were introduced and the way that their lives and deeper issues all connected was very interesting; however, the second half did drag a little. I'd say it's pretty obvious what happens at the end of the book so I spent most of the second half waiting for it to happen. That said, the anticipation for the happy ending kept me reading and reading until I had finished the book.

What's interesting is that this book is written from several different perspectives which gives such a great insight into all the characters feelings. This is very important in this novel as most people's feelings go unsaid, at least until the end passages. I think this brought my closer to all the characters and I, as a reader, felt much more involved in the story. As the story was told from several perspectives, an element of humour was added as it was funny to see the miscommunication and naivety of the characters.

I'm not really sure why, but I really have thing for rich and arrogant boys in books, so Damien was definitely my favourite character. His character changes completely over the course of the novel and it's really interesting to see how love can change a person. I also liked the female protagonist, Alexis, as she appeared to be a strong character, who was actually a bit mushy on the inside. All the characters have something deeper going on in their lives and more and more is learned as the plot gradually unravels. Usually I don't like it when books have too many characters because I get awfully confused and start to question the relevance of just about everything, but I liked that there were a lot of people involved in this story because it meant that there was lots going on and lots of different thoughts being thrown around (in a good way).

All in all, I really enjoyed Against All Odds and thought it was an engaging teen read with some surprising plot twists and turns and ultimately, the happy ending we've all been searching for.

Author Interview on http://whats--hot.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against All Odds.