Sam's Reviews > Ghost in the Shell 2: Man-machine Interface

Ghost in the Shell 2 by Masamune Shirow

Aug 05, 07

bookshelves: comics
Recommended for: "ghost in the shell" collectors
Read in January, 2006

There are some great ideas explored in this book, and the writing is great. What i found disappointing about the book was its reliance on fan service as a selling point. As far as i can tell from my own perspective, this book would be bought and read by anyone familiar with the series who read the first book, watched the movie, or watched the television show. The amount of aforementioned fan service (a term that refers in general, to mostly unneccessary additions of titillating visuals to a story) in every other installment in the franchise is at a tolerable level, but in this manga series there's just a bit too much to make the story readable. It's kind of embarassing, in fact. I mean, as far as manga and anime goes, Ghost In The Shell is about as successful as they get. So why sink to such base tactics to sell books? And if you're going to sink to those tactics for selling the book, why bother with the philosophical acrobatics posited by the story? The art and the story appeal to two different demographics, and there's probably not very much crossover. I could go on and on. I mean, if authors would just talk to me before they publish, I could totally help them make their books like, ten times better. Maybe even fifty times better. Sheesh! Don't they know that? :^}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost in the Shell 2.