Carol's Reviews > The Roots of the Olive Tree

The Roots of the Olive Tree by Courtney Miller Santo

Jun 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 26 to 30, 2012

‘The Roots of the Olive Tree’ by Courtney Miller Santo is a fictional story of five generations set in the Sacramento Valley of California. The inspiration for the story came from the author’s family. Her great grandmother will be 104 soon and her family has roots in the same area that the story is set. The author’s family’s knowledge of growing and tending of the olive trees is reflected in her. So this story sprang from the author’s affection for her family and unique setting.

I enjoyed this story very much. There were four women with very different personalities and many secrets. I also loved learning about the care of the olive trees, the many different flavors of them and the olive oils depending on the age and where the trees were growing. I was surprises to learn that Olive trees are hardy and are invigorated by grafting. I had no idea of the many ways to serve them!

Anna is the matriarch of the family, at 112 years; she was strong and had no huge medical problems. She wanted to be the oldest living person in the world. That is what attracted me to this book from the beginning. I remember as a child telling my grandmother that I wanted to live to be at least 100. My grandmother said “Whatever for?”! I still do. So I had to read this book. It is no wonder that I identify with Anna the most.

So you follow the lives of Anna, Bet (Elizabeth) Callie, Deborah and Erin. Each woman is the mother of the next one in the string of generations. All are keeping secrets from the rest of the women. There is a page in the front to help the reader keep the names straight, it did help. I did not get lost in the story and enjoyed the unfolding of their lives. I think of this book as a gentle book instead of an earthshaking one.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to reads about different generations and pick some information about growing olive trees at the time.

I received this book as a part of the Amazon Vine Program and that in no way influenced my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Roots of the Olive Tree.

06/27/2012 page 58