Beth Gordon's Reviews > The Pact

The Pact by Jodi Picoult

3862046
Jul 13, 12

** spoiler alert ** This is an older Jodi Picoult book that surprisingly I had never read before, particularly because I tend to read books about teenage suicide/murder.

I really didn't like this book.

1. We never found much about the main character Emily, the one who dies. Sure, there are several flashbacks: her friendship/relationship with Chris is looked at, there is an incident at McDonalds being molested by a stranger, and her pregnancy. Other than those instances, we don't really find out much about Emily as a person and what exactly prompted her in the decision to end her life other than vague despair about becoming pregnant and an incident at McDonalds that happened several years before.

2. We didn't find out much about Chris.

3. The book was phenomenally jerky. Most passages were less than a page. I don't mind the rotating narrator, but the compendium of scene snippets don't help the reader understand the full story and the nuances. Going in-depth in scenes other than the trial would have likely helped me be more fulfilled by this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pact.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maurinejt (new)

Maurinejt Yikes! Have you read Jodi Picoult before? Is this typical? I've been tempted by My Sister's Keeper occasionally but haven't picked it up yet.

Beth Gordon My Sister's Keeper is pretty good. She does typically rotate narrators by chapter, which is easier to understand than one page scene snippets.

Picoult is kind of schmaltzy, but a light read.