Teresa's Reviews > La reina en el palacio de las corrientes de aire

La reina en el palacio de las corrientes de aire by Stieg Larsson

Jun 27, 12

Read in June, 2012

Millennium #3: The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

This one was a let down. It took me a while to figure out what it was that was bothering me but it was something as simple as how little Lisbeth Salander is featured in comparison with Mikael Blomkvist. It is true that Salander has extraordinary abilities and is extremely resourceful but she is so deeply flawed in other aspects that you end up with a character that is both believable and appealing. Blomkvist is just Larsson's ideal projection of himself and one of the worst cases of self-insertion I've seen in a long time, the character is absolutely perfect in everything, makes no mistakes, not even experienced spies can best him in an investigation not to mention the countless times the author feels the need to remember his reader how incredible he is in bed and how good-looking every single woman in the novel thinks he is. His relationship with Erika Berger is one of the most ridiculous things I've read too. In general lines he is an insufferable character. It is evident then that if the focus of the novel shifts to him I'm not going to be happy. The story itself however is full of intrigue and is very entertaining, it's just that the character through whose eyes you have to watch it unfold is really annoying.

Actually it is evident that Larsson had more fun creating female characters because practically all male characters are not very good ones. Also he was great creating a story but a terrible writer (we don't need a ridiculously detailed biography of every single minor character you introduce and I'm certain people in Sweden eat more than sandwiches, it's really not necessary describing what they are eating all the time and even more if you can't think of a realistic menu... It's just thngs like that throughout the novel). Oh yes and the title is really stupid, don't care how symbolic it is, it's dumb.

I had fun with it but I would never reread it like I would it the first novel of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La reina en el palacio de las corrientes de aire.

06/22/2012 page 101
06/25/2012 page 525
61.0% "Blomkvist has always been a Mary Sue but it has gotten ridiculous in this book. Not good, Larsson."
show 3 hidden updates…