Tiffany's Reviews > Why We Broke Up

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

2741932
Jul 06, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, artsy-fartsy, award-winning, contemporary-ya, realistic-fiction, cover-love, believable-romance
Read from July 03 to 06, 2012

You either have the feeling or you don't.

I read those first words on the first page, and I thought for sure I was going to love this book. It had everything I love: contemp writer, The Great Love, wit, creative stuff, and, best of all, pictures. IN FULL COLOR.

And I cannot deny that this book is has some serious pretty going on. Really. I would rip out the pages and tack them to my wall. Maira Kalman is illustrator extraordinaire. It makes me want to ignore all the other not-so-pretty things going on in this book. Almost.

Because there are some things in this book that I still can't get over. Like writing in second person. Some people can pull it off really well, you know? But Daniel Handler's version left me all confused and wait-who-said-that-crap-now-i-have-to-read-all-this-dialogue-again frustrated. It wasn't working out for me.

Ah, The Great Love. I really did like most of the couple-y parts. It was very honest and frank and stark. And it's really hard to write from that hazy point-of-view of "in love." But David Handler writes from that perspective beautifully. I understood a lot more about that stuff about love after sifting through what he had to say.

Why We Broke Up, sadly, is not-quite. Not quite what I was hoping for. Not quite what I would like. But I fell in love with the idea of it. And I don't regret reading it. So this book isn't just not-quite. I guess also a maybe-next-time. It has potential. So, David Handler, maybe next time.

(side note: Apparently David Handler also wrote under the name Lemony Snicket. Sadly, I still have not read the The Bad Beginning or any of the other Unfortunate Events. Are they good? *leans forward* I might read them, if they're good.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Broke Up.