Alshia Delores Moyez's Reviews > Deviant: The Shocking True Story of Ed Gein, the Original "Psycho"

Deviant by Harold Schechter

6021971
Jun 21, 12

Read in September, 1997

I liked true crime, so I liked this. But it's one of those books you just don't want to read twice. I like author Harold Schechter's work, but I've kind of gotten myself out of this genre for now, so I won't be reading more by him anytime soon. Nor will I become a fan of his on GR because I'm stepping away from this type of stuff.

This was the first book I read on Ed Gein, so I can't say whether or not this book shed more light on him or not. I just don't know. It was well-written and edited but I felt like it wasn't a "deep" book, like it didn't really try to get into Gein's head to see wtf was wrong with this dude. also, there was a part about his older brother but the book didn't offer much information on their relationship (or at least not as much as I would've liked). His brother interested me because obviously he had the same parents as Gein & was raised the same way, but turned out normal from all accounts. But like I said: not enough information. I bought this in paperback several years ago. Maybe try to get this in Ebook if you can because at least it won't take up shelf space. You could get the paperback and sell it but only for a dime these days from what I gather. Or get this from the library. Good deal!Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deviant.