Jane Stewart's Reviews > Among the Living

Among the Living by Jordan Castillo Price

Jun 21, 2012

bookshelves: erotic-gay-male-paranormal-romance, male-male
Read in June, 2012

I liked the new ideas. They weren’t a copy of other things.

STORY BRIEF:
Psychic cops are partnered with nonpsychics to investigate crimes. Vic is able to talk to ghosts of dead people. But Vic freaks out when he sees ghosts. So he takes Auracel, a drug to stop the psychic ability. It makes him sleepy and high.

Vic’s partner Maurice just retired and Vic’s new partner is Lisa. Someone is killing gay men. Vic cannot find the victims’ ghosts. Another cop Jacob enters the picture. He and Vic are attracted to each other.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I liked the investigation, the nature of the bad guy, and how it was resolved. There’s some mystery, a little suspense, and some hot romance between two guys. Jacob is the gorgeous dominant who intensely wants Vic and comes after him. It’s told in first person from Vic’s point of view. It’s typical first person with the feeling of all these things happening to Vic. There’s a touch of wimpyness to Vic, but it wasn’t a problem. (However he became too wimpy for me in the sequel “Criss Cross.”) The sex scenes between Jacob and Vic are hot. Jacob goes after Vic and makes all the moves. Vic is surprised that Jacob wants him. The ending was cute. It was a novella. I prefer longer books, but this was complete and longer might not be better. Although I would have liked more relationship development among the characters.

Conflicts were well supported. The author didn’t stretch to contrive, which I liked.

DATA:
Narrative mode: first person Vic. Kindle count story length: 1491 (285 KB). Swearing language: strong, including religious swear words. Sexual language: moderate. Number of sex scenes: 3. Setting: current day Chicago, Illinois. Copyright: 2006. Genre: erotic gay male paranormal romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Living.