Katie_la_geek's Reviews > Something Strange and Deadly

Jul 12, 12

bookshelves: ebook-arc, ya
Read from June 21 to 24, 2012

Really 4.5 stars.

For this review and more visit my blog

*I was provided with a free copy of this book in exchange for a review*

Something Strange and Deadly is exactly my kind of book. It is a little bit different, a little bit funny and a little bit bizarre which is exactly what I like in my fiction. I also loved how this book combined 18th century America with zombies. What this book offers is a good story, great characters and some lovely writing. It is a cross between The Evil Dead and Downton Abbey…just with more cute boys and corsets.

All in all I found this book to be gripping and exciting, there is a lot of action and at times it was also quite spooky. It had its touching moments, funny moments and an ending that leaves you satisfied but also impatient for more.

One of the great things about this book is the characters. Elenor is a great. She is stubborn, smart and brave. She won’t let people walk all over her and I ended up liking her quite a lot. Daniel was also great. He is introduced in a peculiar way and it was impossible not to like him instantly. He is cute but that is not why you like him, he has bundles of personality which makes him easy to adore.

The romance was a sweet one but there wasn’t much of it, that wasn’t a problem because instead of insta-love there was a build-up which made everything feel more real and more intense. There is a lot of humorous banter between the two characters and you can feel the connection and attraction between them building and building. I felt that the romance was realistic which was a real plus for me and something that I adored about this novel.

I loved the way this book was written all the characters were well developed; all the world building made everything easy to envision and the language used was spot on for the period.

I would love to give this book five stars but there is one thing holding me back. I found it a little predictable, not the plot or the characters; I didn’t know what was coming next. But I knew the ‘who did it’ reveals long before they happened. I have a habit of doing this all the time so I don’t know if it is the book or me.

Apart from that I was really impressed with this book, it is one of my books of the year so far and a great start to what I hope will be a great series. I highly recommend it and cannot wait for it to come out so I can get a physical copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Strange and Deadly.

06/22/2012 page 1
0.0% "So excited to be reading this!"
06/22/2012
10.0% "So far so spine tinglingly good."
06/23/2012
18.0% "LOVE THIS"
06/23/2012
41.0% "Daniel (so far) is one of my favourite YA characters...ever."
06/24/2012
63.0% "LOVE IT."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} :o kjfakjfad hgjkadfhgjkdfghjkdfhgjkhadfjlkgh jadfhgjkdfhjghdfjkagh jkdfhgj kdfhgjkh dfjkgh jdfhagdfjkghjkdfhgjkhdfjkh jk
:[

Katie_la_geek Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: ":o kjfakjfad hgjkadfhgjkdfghjkdfhgjkhadfjlkgh jadfhgjkdfhjghdfjkagh jkdfhgj kdfhgjkh dfjkgh jdfhagdfjkghjkdfhgjkhdfjkh jk
:["

Oh dear, sorry : (

message 3: by Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} (last edited Jun 21, 2012 02:56PM) (new) - added it

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: ":o kjfakjfad hgjkadfhgjkdfghjkdfhgjkhadfjlkgh jadfhgjkdfhjghdfjkagh jkdfhgj kdfhgjkh dfjkgh jdfhagdfjkghjkdfhgjkhdfjkh jk
:["

Oh dear, sorry : ("

I got denied, in case you didn't notice :P.