Book Twirps's Reviews > Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone by Kat Rosenfield

Jun 21, 2012

Read from June 21 to 24, 2012

This book begins with a pretty steamy sex scene. At first it seems completely unrelated to the book and it took me off guard a bit, but by the end of the chapter I realized that everything that took place in the bed of that old pickup truck was in perfect parallel with what was about to take place.
Becca’s life changes the night of her high school graduation. After a hot and heavy session with her boyfriend, James, in the back of his truck, he breaks up with her. Even though she knew things between her and James would probably end when she went off to college, she wasn’t expecting it. She thought they still had a few months left, and it throws her off course. She knows once she leaves her small town, she’ll never come back. She wants bigger and better things, none of which exist in her hometown. Or, at least, she thought she did.

Amelia Anne had dreams of her own. She’d just graduated college and was looking forward to a promising future, but someone had different plans for her.

As the summer months pass her by, Becca finds herself wrapped up in the mystery of the unknown girl found dead by the side of the road in her sleepy town. Who killed her? What’s her name? What was she like? Could it happen to her?

Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone is both an honest, gritty look at small-town life and a decent mystery. The piece is very character-driven and I totally connected with Becca. I, too, grew up in a very small town and I knew exactly what she was going through — the need to go away and never come back, but also the paralyzing fear of what might lay waiting for you outside the protection of your small quiet town. The book is beautifully written, and flows nicely. I felt the plot was very well-constructed. It alternates between Becca’s POV, third-person accounts of the small town, and short interspersed chapters chronicling Amelia Anne’s last days. Sometimes this can be a recipe for disaster with all that jumping around, but I never felt the pacing stumbled at all. I was hypnotized by the writing and completely captivated by the story. I really enjoyed this one.

If you are a fan of Kirsten Hubbard’s “Like Mandarin”, and if you like your contemporary gritty and real, then this one is for you. There is some sex and drinking, so it is probably better suited for older teens.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amelia Anne is Dead and Gone.

06/21/2012 page 80
29.0% "I'm loving this book!"
show 1 hidden update…