Mike's Reviews > The Family Corleone

The Family Corleone by Edward Falco

M_50x66
Aug 08, 12

Read from June 21 to 25, 2012

I’m a huge Godfather fan, though (embarrassingly) I had never read any of the books. I noticed this one day at the library and said, “What the hell?” Well, what the hell indeed! This book rocked. I wasn’t expecting a story written by some random dude that was based on the beloved Godfather story to be nearly this good, but I was wrong. I was WAY wrong. Ed Falco perfectly captures the tone of this series, and shines a new light on many of the characters the fans know and love. It is very cool to happen upon a book that you did not know existed before and then very quickly end up completely adoring it.

This book is a prequel to the original Godfather book, based on a screenplay that the author of the first Godfather book, Mario Puzo, had written. It explains all about how Vito Corlone became a man that everyone feared yet respected and shows all of the obstacles that were along his path to the top of the gangster world. It also gives insight into what his children were like before they got wrapped up in the family business. Michael was always very driven to make something out of himself and was always reading to increase his knowledge of the world, while Fredo (unsurprisingly) was a brat that had the attention span of a gnat. Other characters such as Sonny and Luca Brasi are also nicely fleshed out, with Sonny being a young adult trying to find his place in the world and Luca Brasi being a ruthless gangster that just about everyone is afraid of (and for good reason; he does some downright horrifying things in this book).

From start to finish, this book had me hooked. There is always something big going on, or at the very least being plotted. The dialogue is fresh, smart and often funny, making it really feel like you are listening in on legitimate Italian conversation. Most importantly, it fits perfectly with the stories that follow, answering many questions any fan of the series may have about the Corleone family. Whether you are a Godfather diehard or a noob who is considering taking the plunge into the Corleone story, this is the perfect way to be introduced to the family, capisce?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Corleone.