Blythe's Reviews > Every Day

Every Day by David Levithan

5206717
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

Despite what you might think from my rating, I really, truly loved this book. I want to give this book a full five star rating so much, but, regardless of how much I think this book deserves a five star rating, and how much I want to give it a five star rating, I just can't bring myself to give it that.

A has an indeterminate gender, an indeterminate family, and even indeterminate name. Each and every day, A finds himself waking up in a new body, experiencing a day in the life of the body he's living in. One day, A finds himself in the body of Justin - a rude and careless sixteen year old boy. What A thinks will just be another day in the life of a high school jock turns out to be completely different, when A meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon. Soon enough, A finds himself falling in love with Rhiannon, and wants to be with her every day, but, given the circumstances, he's unable to. So arises the question: can you be loved by a single person, and be in love with a single person, if you're a different person every day?

I've heard great things about David Levithan, so when I saw this book show up on my Goodreads feed, and on NetGalley the same day, I decided to request it, given the extremely intriguing synopsis and the large amount of hype the author's been getting from trusted friends of mine.

Right from the start I was unable to put this book down, and I read the first half of Every Day in one sitting. The premise is thoroughly interesting, the main character is kind (though more on him soon), and the love interest is likable in every way, and it was extremely easy for me to empathize with her.

Just by reading the synopsis, I was able to tell that there was going to be insta-love (sort of?) in this book. (One question: do you consider it insta-love if the love isn't entirely mutual at first?) So yes, A falls in love with Rhiannon within an hour or two of meeting her, but still, the relationship between A and Rhiannon is so well developed that it doesn't feel like insta-love. That being said, while there was a presence of insta-love (or not, depending on your answer to the aforementioned question), the insta-love is not the reason I'm giving this book a rating of 4.5 stars and not 5.

The one and only reason I can't bring myself to giving this book five stars is because of the narrator, A. A is sweet and kind in every way imaginable, but there is a very large portion of this book - if not the first three quarters of it - where he turns into the obsessive love interest we see much too often in YA. At times, I just found A to be creepy, and way too overly obsessive towards Rhiannon. He says that he loves Rhiannon frequently, and every morning, when he wakes up in a different person's body, he finds out what town his current body lives in and determines how far away that town is from the town in which Rhiannon lives so that he can drive to Rhiannon's town and see her. Maybe if this were something that had only happened in the first quarter of the book I'd be giving Every Day a full five stars, but his obsessiveness towards Rhiannon took up way too large of a portion in Every Day.

Like I mentioned earlier, Rhiannon is an extremely likable character, and she was incredibly easy for me to empathize with soon in the book. Rhiannon is in a relationship with Justin, who treats her horribly. Knowing that there's more to Justin, and hoping that he'll go back to how he used to be when they first started dating, Rhiannon sticks with Justin, even though he doesn't treat her well. Then, A comes into her life and treats her with respect and love - how she's always wanted to be treated - and she finds herself at a crossroads. (That does not mean there's a love triangle, so don't worry.)

Levithan's writing is refreshing and crisp, and it makes for easy and quick reading. As well as that, the plot is brilliant and is executed amazingly, and the pacing is perfect. The plot twist(s) are, for the most part, unpredictable, and the book ends with a bang, and then, following the bang, me crying.

Brilliant, sweet, and heartwarming, Every Day will be a book that will linger with me for a while, as well as the amazing and emotional relationship that is A and Rhiannon's. This was my first book by David Levithan, but I can assure you that it will not be my last. And if Every Day is a true testament to Levithan's writing, I cannot wait to read his other works.
57 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day.

07/18/2012 page 28
9.0% "Wow..."
07/18/2012 page 80
26.0% "I'm little more than 25% through this book and I already feel the urge to buy all David Levithan's books on impulse. Right now."
07/19/2012 page 189
62.0% "I'm not finding A as likable now as I did in the beginning..."
07/19/2012 page 304
100.0% ":("
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Rogier (new)

Rogier bummr

Blythe Not really. I'm absolutely loving this book - it's just that A is beginning to get a bit creepy. (Though I think that's Levithan's intention.)

message 3: by Rogier (new)

Rogier ooh
enjoy further

Bonnie I've got this one coming up soon! :D

Blythe I can't wait to see what you think of it, Bonnie. I really, truly loved it.

Bonnie Well, I hope I love it too. David Levithan is a pretty amazing author.

Blythe Thanks, Sam! I hope you like it if you manage to get an ARC. :)

message 8: by Isabelle (new) - added it

Isabelle Excellent review. I was unsure of requesting this on NetGalley, but I think I will now. Plus I have great luck with Random House. :D

Blythe Thanks, Isabelle! I'm glad to hear that you're now going to request it on NetGalley! I really hope you like it as much as I did.

Sandra I got this from NetGalley. Can't wait to get to it. :)

Natalie Monroe After reading your review, I want to read this book more than ever!

message 12: by Blythe (last edited Jul 20, 2012 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blythe Sandra wrote: "I got this from NetGalley. Can't wait to get to it. :)"

Great! I can't wait to see what you think of it, Sandra!

Blythe Natalie wrote: "After reading your review, I want to read this book more than ever!"

If I can get people anxious to read this book, I'm definitely happy. This isn't a book to be missed. I hope you manage to get a copy, Natalie!

Wendy Darling Ohhh, I'm writing my review soon so I won't read this just yet, but yay! I'm glad you loved it, too. :)

Blythe I can't wait to read your review, Wendy! I really loved this book. Despite my 4.5 star rating, I think it may be my favorite read of 2012 so far.

message 16: by Meagan (new)

Meagan I feel like your review should come with a "SPOILER ALERT!" You had so much information that I feel like I know the entire story now. :/ That said, I completely understand your opinion on the creepiness of the obsessive insta-love. When I do read, I'll be curious to discern for myself whether or not Levithan wrote it this way on purpose.

Blythe Sorry, Meagan! I just added a "Warning: Possible Spoilers" warning at the top of my review. May I ask where you thought my review had spoilers? I might be able to reword it.

Ester  Marie Hi, Blythe! Thank you! You did an awesome review! :-)

message 19: by Soliman (new) - added it

Soliman just ordered that from Amazon ...wish I'd seen your review first :-\

Blythe Soul606 wrote: "just ordered that from Amazon ...wish I'd seen your review first :-\"

? But my review is extremely positive...?

Blythe Ester wrote: "Hi, Blythe! Thank you! You did an awesome review! :-)"

Thank you!

Katherine great review :) i definitely also would if possible give this book a 4.5/5

message 23: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason I really desire to see a different type of configuration among YA books. It just seems so trite and underwhelming to read the same regurgitated sort of storyline with different characters

Unneesa i cried to oh my god the chapter before the last one i was DYING. its too sad. liked it anyway.

Ayangeksakul Brilliant review!