Megan Bodwell's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jun 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Read from June 21 to 22, 2012

To quote my dear sister, this book totally fit the definition of "Literary Crack." I had to finish it and now I am upset that I don't have the second one ready and waiting. Suzanne Collins is an amazing storyteller. Although their genres and stories are completely different, I would compare her to JK Rowling. Like Rowling, Collins adds just enough of a wide variety of details to keep a wide audience interested. Romance, check. Bloodlust/fighting techniques, check. Hunting and weapons, check. Fashion and hair, check. You can't help but relate to the characters and furnish your own details.

Another thing that struck me is how subtly but effectively Collins made her readers feel about certain situations. Although labeled Sci-Fi and Young Adult, there was a real element of "grown-up" truth to it. It appeared as though she carefully constructed just enough of the story to keep young readers interested, yet led anyone really delving into the book to imagine what else was happening and what other characters were about.

A marvelous read. A real step ahead for literature! Gives a reader a lot to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.