Katie_la_geek's Reviews > Breathe

Nov 29, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ebook-arc, ya
Read from June 23 to 28, 2012

This review and more can be found on my blog

Breathe left me with very mixed feelings. Parts of it were outstanding and other parts were OK. I liked the plot and the characters but not enough happened to keep me completely enthralled. There is a great idea here, I loved the concept and the POD world Crossan created. I really enjoyed the dystopian elements and I liked that the love triangle (I use the term loosely) was between two girls and a boy.

All of the characters were interesting. You have Bea, the smart and caring one, Alina, the strong warrior, and Quinn, the funny charmer. I liked all of these characters but I didn’t fall in love with them. Joining the main three are a host of secondary characters that were all very well fleshed out. The most notable is Quinn’s dad who provides a great villain who is maybe not who we are lead to believe he is.

There are real moments of greatness in this book. There are a couple of scenes in the middle that stand out. But it is the last quarter which impressed me the most; it was an adrenaline rush of action and suspense.

Yet for all the things that Breathe does right there is an equal amount which disappointed me. The romance is lack lustre and I personally didn’t think much of it. The resistance are disappointing and seemed no better that the corrupt government. Their leader throws people in dungeons and takes advice from petulant nine year olds. A few things happen (especially towards the end) that should have been very emotional but I felt no connection to the characters involved and remained emotionally detached from the events. Also we are introduced to a character early on who may not be who he seems, he is bought up a couple of times but nothing really happens. I would have liked to have seen a little more of this character because I have a feeling he will be important in the upcoming sequel. If he isn’t then he is just dropped and left which would be a disappointment.

Breathe at times felt like a prologue to me. With the way it ended I couldn’t stop myself from thinking that it is just one big build up for book two.

Breathe is very enjoyable but I do think there are better dystopian YA novels out there. I will pick up the next book in the series because I believe there is potential here.

(The publisher provided me with a free copy of this book in exchange for a honest review)
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breathe.

06/26/2012
22.0% "Interesting, very interesing."
06/27/2012 page 36
9.0% "So far so good."
06/28/2012 page 61
15.0% "I like but don't love."
show 3 hidden updates…

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} So f-ing jealous.

Katie_la_geek Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "So f-ing jealous."

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "So f-ing jealous."

They have denied me everytime so far. But suddenly they said yes to a couple. I don't know why."

I would never have been accepted. It is too cool looking. :(

Katie_la_geek Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "So f-ing jealous."

I would never have been accepted..."

I am sure you would have, They are a bit strange about it. They gave me half and denied me half. There is no reason why I should get them and your shouldn't. You have a YA blog right?

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "So f-ing jealous."

..."

Yeah, but only up for a bit.
Where did you get it? It's not on Netgalley. Edelweiss?

Katie_la_geek Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "Kate wrote: "Lisbeth ~{Domus Libri}~ wrote: "So f-ing jealous."

Mine has only been up for a bit to. I got it from Edelweiss it is the first time I have been approved and I have been trying for over a month.

Ali *The Black Heart* I would love to pick someones brain on how the approval process works ~ it seems pretty random.

Katie_la_geek Ali (GingerRead) wrote: "I would love to pick someones brain on how the approval process works ~ it seems pretty random."

It does doesn't it I have no idea how I got declined so many times and suddenly I am getting approved.

Ali *The Black Heart* At least you are getting approvals now!! :)

Katie_la_geek Ali (GingerRead) wrote: "At least you are getting approvals now!! :)"

Yes!! and I am really pleased about it! : D