Tiffany (About to Read)'s Reviews > Don't You Wish

Don't You Wish by Roxanne St. Claire

Jul 04, 12

Read from June 21 to 22, 2012

Don’t You Wish is a light, fun read that immerses you in a glitzy, but emotionally complicated world. After super dorky Annie Nutter wakes up in a fabulous Miami mansion as Ayla Monroe, she has everything she’s ever wanted—except for a loving family. Annie soon discovers that being popular and ridiculously rich is not what she expected. Ayla is more or less a terrible person. She treats everyone like crap and she is no stranger to drugs and theft—not the kind of person Annie ever wanted to be.

Watching Annie struggle with the terrible person she was as Ayla Monroe was a joy. There was a lot of raw emotion that really added to the story. My favorite part, however, was the romance. Annie/Ayla and Charlie were so sweet together, and I loved the slight dorkiness that they both added to the story. I was a bit apprehensive when I first started Don’t You Wish because I thought this was going to be a story about a girl wallowing in self-pity about all the things she couldn’t have—and that really was not far off based on the first chapter or so. Luckily, the self-pity was short lived and the rest of the story was fantastic.

Time travel meets Gossip Girl in this perfect summer read. It’s full of glitz, glamour, and romance, but still has enough emotion and depth to be meaningful. Annie’s struggle to be true to herself as Ayla, and her quest to discover the true meaning of family is touching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't You Wish.