Ana's Reviews > The Glass Menagerie

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: 11th-grade-advisory

This play was very interesting. I was first attracted to Amanda's character. You could tell she had lost a lot in her life and she really wanted her daughter, Laura, to have everything she didn't have. Laura was nothing like her mother. She wasn't pretty or charismatic. In fact, she was painfully shy. She even dropped out of business school because she couldn't handle being around other people. She had had a crush on a boy from her high school for years, and her brother decided to set her up with him. Unfortunately, this turned into the saddest part of the play. After Amanda spent large amounts of money on their evening together, he kissed Laura. Right after, he told her he was engaged to another woman. Laura's self esteem began to decline once again. This man had brought her out of her shell, only throw her back into it. While reading, I had sympathy for Laura the entire time. At the end of the play, Laura's brother decided to leave the family to make something of himself. He left his mother and sister with nothing. Throughout his life, the memory of his sister haunted him. I could tell that it was hard for him to live with what he had done.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Menagerie.