Tam's Reviews > Grease Paint

2620907
Jun 21, 2012

bookshelves: m-m-m-and-more
Read in June, 2012

This review can be found at Brief Encounters Reviews.

This was quite a cute story of a deeply in the closet man and the younger man who’s been crushing on him for years. Mack is not alone in the closet however, he lives with his best friend, who is in a lesbian relationship with someone in the military, but they both pretend to be a couple to deflect suspicion. Crypt is pretty much out and proud and has been painting pictures of Mack for the last few years, so no one is oblivious to his obsession.

One night at the movies, they see each other and Crypt makes a bold move, kissing Mack, but he’s still sure the man is straight given that he has a live-in girlfriend, however his best friend discovers Mack has been attending private gay raves and manages to get Crypt an invitation to one, where he hopes to hook-up with Mack, which they do. The raves last all weekend, but after about 20 min they leave and spend the long weekend together. They continue their clandestine relationship back home until … yep, revealed and Mack is less than chivalrous when his brother lays into Crypt.

On the whole I enjoyed the story, but I always get frustrated with closeted guys. Especially when you go so far as to move in with a woman and both of you pretend to be dating/having sex while in other relationships? That’s been a trope I’m never fond of, but still, I could understand Mack. He had no need to come out, he was planning for the day he could move his business somewhere more open and be himself, but it was just easier, until he met Crypt.

I had a few small issues with things the female friends did, but I know they are MY issues and others won’t mind their, in my mind, “overprotectiveness”, especially given that Mack was 30, not 18. However, thankfully they didn’t tip into that annoying female friend category which turns me off a story. But still, the story was kind of cute and the make-up moment was a large and over the top romantic gesture, so in the end it all worked out.

I enjoyed the author’s style, I liked both guys a good deal and there was some kinky photography sex to enjoy, so if you are in the mood for a quick read with just a touch of angst during the discovery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grease Paint.