Tami's Reviews > An Age of Madness

An Age of Madness by David Maine

Jul 06, 12

Read from June 22 to 25, 2012

When I started this one, I was struck by what a lousy communicator the main character - a shrink! - is. Gina Moss, who cannot have a successful conversation about the most mundane subject with her daughter, Anna. I thought, this does not bode well.

But I simultaneously recognized how good the writing is. Solid. And realized that there's got to be more here, because who creates a psychiatrist protagonist who doesn't believe in communicating unless they have a plan? So I read on.

I am very glad I did. The story is well paced, well written, and despite what looms as a potentially large obstacle (non-communicative shrink) for me, the more I read the more I wanted to read. The author did a great job of creating layers of story, both in the characters themselves and how they interact, and the levels and increments of truth they share.

I love a story that creates tension without there having to be a whole lot of action. Dialogue and every day activities I can relate to... that's the stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Age of Madness.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Maine Hi Tami, thanks for reading the book, and giving it 4 stars. I'm curious, though... since it doesn't come out till Sept 1, how did you get it?

Tami Book Expo America

message 3: by David (new)

David Maine Hmm... Dunno what that is. Anyway, congrats on getting probably the first copy ever issued. And thanks again for reading it, it's appreciated.

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Is this one coming out in hard copy?

message 5: by David (new)

David Maine Don't think so. I think it's a trade pbk from the get-go. (But I'm not entirely positive, so don't quote me...)

message 6: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Sorry meant hard copy as in physical book, not e-book... Trade paperback is good. I like those.

message 7: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Good review, sounds good!

Tami it is good, i can't believe i wrote alex instead of anna - i apologize! i am horrible with names in general