Isa Lavinia's Reviews > It's Not All Black and White: Multiracial Youth Speak Out

It's Not All Black and White by St. Stephen's Community House

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, non-fiction, read-2012, arc
Read on June 21, 2012

“With your look, exotic, you must come from afar.”
From lands that serve the white man’s desires, that cater to your every need.

I wish I'd had this book way back when I started adolescence.

As the description says, this book includes interviews, poems and short essays.

The interviews were my favourite part of the book because a few of them were done with older generations (my parents' generation and older) and it was just fascinating to have first-hand accounts on how it all was.

The poems and essays, those hit closer to home. They were all about things I have experienced and things I deal with every day as a mixed race person. They were poignant and they raised important issues. All parents of mixed race children should read Mia-Skye Sagara's essay "My Advice To Parents" and Karen Arthurton "Advice for Parents and Caregivers" on the importance of an open dialogue about race with your children. I wish mine had read it.

Constantly thinking about your racial identity is something only the privileged can afford not to do. Racism is a ubiquitous topic (as it should be), but biracial and multiracial voices are not commonly heard. There are defining issues, like being forced to choose, to define yourself a certain way, and deny the rest, when that definition is just a small part of the whole person you are. There are particular struggles that only mixed race people face and should be known to everyone.

I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in racism, race relations and multiculturalism, but I especially recommend it to all the young biracial and mixed race people, so they may know they are not alone.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Not All Black and White.