Becky's Reviews > I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: read-for-myself
Read in June, 2012

I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You is a full-throttle spy story come love story. It’s a sweet and totally sassy read.

My students have been telling me that I need to read this book for ages. Finally I took their advice and I am so pleased I did. This is book is great! I really enjoyed reading it.

Cammie is a sophomore at the Gallagher Academy. A school for female spies which hides behind the facade of a private elitist school for geniuses. Cammie’s beautiful mum is the Headmistress of the school and is an exceptional spy herself (although no longer in the field). The new term has begun and this year sees the sophomores begin their Covert Operations training. It tests their spy skills to the limit but for Cammie it presents a more emotional challenge. Her father died on a mission and the details may be classified but there is no doubt that becoming an undercover agent and entering enemy territory is the most dangerous type of spying there is. Cammie must face all the risks and decide if she really wants to follow in her father’s footsteps.

As if Cammie’s life isn’t interesting enough, when she’s out on a mission, she’s spotted by a teenage town boy. No one ever sees Cammie. She’s known as the Chameleon. Even her own friends find it hard to spot her. So why does this boy see through her spy skills. Is he dangerous? Is he boyfriend material? Is he both? Cammie is about to investigate with the help of her best friends.

I really don’t have much more to say other than I couldn’t put the book down. I loved all the spy speak, the technology and the training. It was funny but it was also full of action. The characterisation was great. I really felt Cammie’s emotions. I never would have expected on picking up this book to have tears in my eyes at the end. But that’s what happened. My pupils have the best taste in books.

I’d Tell You I Love You, But Then I’d Have to Kill You is great contemporary fiction for teens. The girls are the heroes which is exactly what I want to see in modern children’s fiction. This is the Spice Girls in a book: Friends forever and all the more powerful for it. I’m quite the fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You.