Miss Kim's Reviews > Black Hills

Aug 21, 09

bookshelves: cops-military-bodyguards, romantic-suspense, 2009
Recommended for: Nora fans
Read in August, 2009

It was a little difficult to decide on a star rating for Nora’s latest. The begining was great, the middle lulled, and then the end was good. I waffled between 3 ½ and 4 and decided-what the heck, go for four.

Lil and Coop became close as children when he would spend summers at his grandparents’ home in South Dakota. He was a city boy that had never seen the country. Lil, a Sioux descendant, was raised there with her sort of hippie-like parents. Lil is fascinated by wild animals, particularly the cougar.

They fall in love in their teens; however, they have separate goals and are inevitably separated. Lil wants to open a wildlife refuge on her parents’ land, and Coop is defying his father by not going to law school and joining the police academy. On one of their last few days together, they are in the woods and stumble upon a crime scene.

Twelve years later, Lil has opened her refuge. She’s just come home from a six month trip in South America, and she discovers Coop is back in town for good. She has mixed feelings about it, because she feels he broke her heart years ago. She was willing to do anything to keep their relationship, but he was insistent they separate. While the two are getting reacquainted, a psycho appears. Someone is terrorizing Lil and her refuge.

I liked Coop a lot, and it didn’t hurt that he was a cop—my favorite type of hero. He was of course gorgeous, patient, and determined to protect Lil and to keep her forever. Lil was very reluctant to let him back in after she was hurt. She’s a tough girl, however didn’t cross to line to being a ball buster. I can’t stand that type of heroine.

There is a secondary romance that is really sweet, and I wish the author had spent more time on them. For those that are interested in interracial romance, you’d like this one. The couple is BWWM. The hot cowboy pursues this few years older woman and romances her to pieces.

I recommend to fans of Nora, and those that like light romantic suspense.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hills.

Teryl Is it good or just eeh?

Miss Kim I like it, but it is slow. Not quite 'eh' yet.

Teryl A slow start? Yuck. I can't decide between this one or Bad Moon Rising right now.

Miss Kim I'm going to start BMR tomorrow. I should be suprised at how thin it is, but I was. Did you see what Dana thought of it?

Teryl No, I will go check out her review.

message 6: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, Kim! This sounds good, but I'm going to wait for the paperback.

Miss Kim It's not worth rushing out to get, Shawna. Mine was a library book.

message 8: by Tammy (last edited Aug 21, 2009 08:45AM) (new) - added it

Tammy Kim wrote: "It's not worth rushing out to get, Shawna. Mine was a library book."

I was one of those who rushed out to buy it cuz I really like the childhood sweethearts theme. But since I enjoyed the beginning and got stuck in the middle, I second what Kim said. This book has been sitting on my nightstand for a few weeks now and I'm having to force myself to pick it up and finish it.

Glad to hear the end was good tho. That's encouraging!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Well you just had to add the IR BWWM part, didn't you, Kim? I'm there. :)

message 10: by Corrine (new) - added it

Corrine Nora writes really good cops, but I'll probably just hit up the library for this one. Great review, Kim.

Miss Kim Danielle wrote: "Well you just had to add the IR BWWM part, didn't you, Kim? I'm there. :)"

You were one the girls I was thinking of! :)