Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)'s Reviews > Night Beach

Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar

Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, review-copy, paranormal, fantasy, net-galley, e-book
Read from June 22 to 24, 2012

I don't know how to write this review, I didn't really understand the ending of the book, I didn't much like the characters and it was an alright story, but not really something I'd read again.
So let me explain my sentence above, I couldn't really get into the story, I understand that Abbie has a crush on Kane (more like a stalkerish obsession) but I don't understand why, I don't think there was anything at all that I liked about his character, which made me confused as to how she ended up with a crush on him in the first place, and because of her obsession of someone who was in my opinion just a waste of space it made me dislike her as well, I understand that when you're younger you have crushes on people but this was just a little too far, I mean stealing one of the condoms he kept in a pants pocket because it was in his pants pocket is just going a bit too far.
It also didn't matter that he never gave her the time of day in the first place and with the paranormal aspect in this story that affected them both I just think he's nothing but a gutless wonder!
As for the rest of the story I do feel bad for Abbie and her home life, being shafted to and fro between her divorced parents, her father who never has time for her and spends all his time working or her Mum who is cold and unfeeling and doesn't seem to care anything about Abbie except her getting good grades.
So all of that was just depressing she was all alone not really any family or friends and besides surfing (which I found really boring to read about) and her art there wasn't much else happening in the book.
And the ending, well I didn't really get the paranormal part it really wasn't explained all that well that I could understand what it was, and on the last page when she finally looked into that room in the cellar and found the things in there that she did I was like huh!!!!, how the hell did they end up there in the first place, I felt like maybe it would have helped to have an explanation for those like me who weren't maybe smart enough to figure that out.
I really wanted to like this book, the summary on the back of this book sounds fantastic and I was really excited to read it but unfortunately for me it was a let down.
I give this 2.5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Beach.