Robin's Reviews > The Book Thief

bookshelves: good-but-hard-to-take
Recommended to Robin by: TNBBC Members
Recommended for: anyone
Read in January, 2009, read count: 1

A beautifully written book with a unique perspective. It is very had to write a review of this without giving away spoilers. It centers around a young girl in foster care living in Germany during WWII. The book is very good at both showing the worst in people and how people were forced to treat other inhumanly due to the consequences.

Like the Gursney Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society this shows us the hardship of war on the people living through it and also the power of books and words in these desperate times.

I'm very surprised this book is classifie as YA. It really is (IMO) a very "adult" book - not that I dont' think teenagers should not read it - I do - Just like Diary of Anne Franke it is an important read but not typical of most "YA".
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.

01/06/2009 page 70
01/14/2009 page 326
59.06% "Enjoying this quite a bit. I'm a bit surprised it is a YA title it does not read like one." 1 comment
01/15/2009 page 407
73.73% "Still really enjoying this book. The whole Max thing had me worried. I really think this is more adult than YA"

message 1: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane I've hear this is a good book - will you let me know what you think when you are done?