Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Miss Wonderful

Jun 26, 12

bookshelves: adult, historical-romance
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Dija
Read in June, 2012

I blame my lack of interest on not being in the mood...or something like that. From what I hear, this author writes wonderful Historical Romance and since I like HR, chances are I will enjoy reading this author at another time. For whatever reason, this book didn't work for me.

There was no humor, no fun banter, and no blazing sexual chemistry. If anything, I felt like I was reading an extremely formal book where nothing really happened other than people explaining their previous and current predicaments. When the "coupling" eventually took place it was very toned down, which was sort of disappointing.

The hero was one note. The heroine was drab...and I'm only saying this because the hero himself didn't seem to appreciate much about the heroine until later in the book. He focused so much of the first half of the book on her terrible choice in clothing. Apparently, he was that century's version of a stylist instead of the veteran he was made out to be.

Well alrighty then. I marked a few quotes from the book but really, what's the point of putting in pretty quotes unless you're recommending the read? Consider this my lazy review of the week. I'm allowed at least one (or two) of these!

Apparently, this author is a brilliant writer though, so I will try again at another time with one of her highly recommended books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Wonderful.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca Espinoza I liked this one but Lord of Scoundrels by her is my favorite. One of the best historical romances I have read! Can't wait to see what you think of this one!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm excited to get started, since this author is new to me. My main HR experience has been my mini-obsession with Lisa Kleypas and a deep admiration for Diana Gabaldon. The other few authors I've tried have all just been okay.

Rebecca Espinoza Oh yeah, Diana Gabaldon is a goddess! Even though they are technically historical novels, I don't put the Outlander series in the same category of the typical bodice ripper novel. I think Lord or Scoundrels and one other historical romance (As You Desire) are the only two that I have listed among favorites. I want to read some more Lorretta Chase though because I really enjoyed the ones I have read from her.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 20, 2012 11:38PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Oh, I completely agree. I would consider Gabaldon to be closer to the category of Historical Fiction that just happens to have an epic romance inside. Definitely not like how Kleypas is more traditional HR.

I just don't have a lot of true HR authors I've found that I've been impressed with yet. I keep meaning to try Julia Quinn but haven't had a chance to.

Rebecca Espinoza The book As You Desire by Connie Brockaway(I think, too lazy to look it up) is a good one. The hero in it reminds me of Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind, whom I am completely in love with still.

Searock This is one of my favorites, Stacia, but I read it early in my Romance affair. It's quirky and doesn't work for everyone. I hope you enjoy it. That is a Strange title and cover. Didn't realize it changed.

Stacia (the 2010 club) So far, it's a bit more formal than I'm used to with HR but it's too soon to tell. I'm willing to give it a fair chance. :)

Dija What chapter are you on? I'm reading chapter 5 right now, and so far, the book's just okay. A tad bit boring though. :/

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm about 25% in. Not sure what chapter. I'm waiting for something to happen still. It's actually about an hour before sunrise here and I still haven't been to bed yet but my husband is off work today, so after I get a few hours of sleep, I'll try to get some more reading in, since he'll be watching the little one.

You are a fan of this author, right? I haven't read anything else by her, so I have nothing to compare it to. It looks like even some of Chase's biggest fans rate this one a little bit lower than her other stuff.

message 10: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija I'll be pretty busy this upcoming week with relatives visiting and whatnot, so I'll try to finish it by tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan, because I've only read one other book of hers, Silk Is For Seduction, and it was AMAZING. I was interested in reading more books by her, and thought I'd start with this one because some of the later books in the series are really popular. So far, though, it's been a so-so read. The beginning was really promising, but I'm still waiting for something engaging to happen.

Searock The Carsington's are hit and miss with some, but I loved them all. I was pretty new when I discovered Chase (back when I was eating historical romance books for breakfast) so I may have been so enthralled that I forgot to be bored. MW is her most yada yada yada of all the Carsingtons. Mr. Impossible is a fave and rightly so. I really like the Chase style and reminds me a bit of Kinsale whom I also love. Hope it improves for you.

I haven't read a Chase in years and have been meaning to get to SifS for a long time now...

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm about halfway in and the book is going fine but I find my wandering a bit and I have to reign myself back in. This is probably just a different writing style than what I've been reading lately, so it's pushing me to have to focus more.

message 13: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read You absolutely MUST read Lord of Scoundrels! Fantastic book by her!

Stacia (the 2010 club) So I've heard! Even if I don't end up liking this one, I'll still give some fan favorites a shot. Most authors have at least one weak book.

message 15: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read Yes. Her earlier work is not quite as entertaining. LOS is one of those books you just want to kick yourself because you didn't read it sooner.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I guess I should also say that you know your mind must really be wandering if you suddenly stop to take notes for the next book you want to write.

Stacia (the 2010 club) So yeah, this one didn't work for me. I'll try Lord of Scoundrels and see if I like that one better. :)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Definitely try Lord of Scoundrels!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I guess I have to with so many glowing recommendations!

message 20: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Sorry this wasn't that great, Stacia. I have a feeling I'll be rating it 2 stars as well.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter What was lazy about your review, Stacia?? *shakes head* I think this is a great review. Well, I haven't read anything written by this author. I want to give her a try, however, it won't be this book. :-)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I'm reading a book right now that I'm just not in the mood for. I really should stop and read it later. Funny how being in the mood for a book can make all the difference in the world. Nice review.

Stacia (the 2010 club) So true Kristen.

Baba, I guess I just felt lazy because I didn't think about what I was going to write. I just typed a thought or two and was ready to be done.

Dija, not your fault at all. I've picked buddy reads that didn't work either. There's no way to know ahead of time. It's just luck of the draw.

Searock I don't know what the draw for this book is to me, but I adored it. I actually like its rather "formal" prose. Kinda takes me to another era. But I am the girl that never read much contemporary before KA. I like a good stuffy historical :)

I also found the beta-style, wounded hero to be so appealing, but I am a weirdo when it comes to heroes. This one (don't remember his name) is a bit of a dandy? He is self conscious about his hero status and his limp. It reminds me of the hero in Judith Ivory's Beast with whom I also fell in major nerd-love.

Uhhh, but I also fell in love with Ben Stein and Bill Nye the Science Guy.... full disclosure.

Love your review. I would have tried talking you into Mr. Impossible or Lord of Scoundrels first though.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was definitely on me and not the author. I do agree that a good Beta hero is nice to read about every so often. As much as I love alphas, they can start to blend together after a while. In fact, one of my top 5 men (probably top 3) of all time is a very defined beta.

I read more historical fiction than historical romance when I was younger, so formality doesn't bother me as a whole. I think I'm just so conditioned to Lisa Kleypas' style of wit and over the top escapades that it will take a little bit of adjustment on my part to get used to a more formal style of HR. I'll get there. It just might take a book or two.

Searock Squee!
You must share this beta hero of yours with me sometime :)

This is a low-action book. No getting around that.
Not so sure it could be your issue. This is one of those that you would have to be in the mood for, for realz).