Katy's Reviews > The Assassin's Curse

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Jun 24, 12

Read from June 20 to 24, 2012

2.5 stars - Bouncing between 2 and 3.

UGH! You stupid, stupid man! How could you… Why can't you… GAH!

This book was everything I could want in a YA fantasy. A feisty, independent female pirate (cool!). A hot, mysterious assassin (swoon!). Adventures over land AND sea (awesome!). Unfortunately, it was not. The book wasn't bad. It just didn't suck me in and left me feeling meh.

The story had a lot of potential. But I felt there were too many things that Clarke skimmed over the surface to. The book starts out with Ananna being presented to her betrothed and her running away. I didn't feel Clarke gave us enough of a reason why she didn't want to marry Tarrin other than he was too beautiful and she wanted to be independent. And then (RED FLAG! MAJOR SPOILER ALERT!), (view spoiler) Again, I just wish I knew more about her hatred for him.

Also, the book is littered with references to stories Ananna learned while growing up, but we never get much details on the myths her Papa used to tell her (i.e. near the end, she freaked out about light coming from her, but I didn't understand what happened). I have the same complaints for lack of details into the Order and in the magic. Why tease something if you're not going to explain it.

My biggest problem was I didn't love Ananna and Naji. They infuriated me because they were always fighting with each other - and it wasn't cute bickering that enhanced their chemistry. They just did too many stupid things and said too many stupid things, and they're always arguing about something or the other. Ananna wasn't a bad heroine, but she just wasn't as kickass as I expected her to be.

And Naji, I'm sorry, but he's kind of a poor excuse for an assassin and later a weak protector. It seems like Ananna is always trying to save him, and he's always doing things wrong. And he is just so freaking blind that it makes me want to pull my hair out. It's kind of disappointing.

But like I said. It's not a bad book, and there were probably some parts that I liked, enough to bounce between 2 and 3 stars. But overall, I just don't think this book was anywhere near what I was expecting.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Curse.

message 1: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa how is it going so far??

Katy Melissa wrote: "how is it going so far??"

I'm only on Chapter 2. :P It was late when I started it last night. :)

message 3: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa why would you start a book late at night?!

Katy Melissa wrote: "why would you start a book late at night?!"

Because I usually to HAVE to finish a book the night I start it, but lately, it hasn't bothered me. And I had company over so I thought I'd be up later than I actually was. :P

message 5: by Mitch (new)

Mitch *cough* Palace of Stone *cough* *cough*

message 6: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Mitch wrote: "*cough* Palace of Stone *cough* *cough*"

whats palace of stone??

Katy Mitch wrote: "*cough* Palace of Stone *cough* *cough*"

As in this book sounds like it or as in I should read it?

message 8: by Mitch (new)

Mitch You said you needed a good YA fantasy? I heard the first one was really good so I'm guessing, it's on Netgalley.

Katy Mitch wrote: "You said you needed a good YA fantasy? I heard the first one was really good so I'm guessing, it's on Netgalley."

I haven't read the first one. Should I try it out?

message 10: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Melissa wrote: "And and and?? :)"

Ok, ok, I'm starting chapter 3 now. Do you have any idea how distracting reading is when you have My Little Pony playing in the background, especially when there's someone in the room reciting all the words along with it! :P

message 11: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Katy wrote: "Melissa wrote: "And and and?? :)"

Uhm no luckily I don't have a clue how hard that is :p

message 12: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Melissa wrote: "Uhm no luckily I don't have a clue how hard that is :p ."

Aren't you glad alien chickens can't talk? Anyway, I'm struggling a bit with this one. Will have to come back to it later today.

message 13: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Who said the chicken can't talk?? ;)

message 14: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Melissa wrote: "Who said the chicken can't talk?? ;)"

Dear Alien Chicken,
I sincerely apologize for insulting your intelligence. Please don't eat me.
Sincerely,
At Your Mercy

message 15: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Yeah if I were you, I would be very careful woman. Sleep with one eye open!! That animal is creepier than anything u ever saw :p and it's a cannibal!!

message 16: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Thanks, Lis. I dreamed of attacking alien chickens last night. I kid you not. And I am TERRIFIED of birds.

Shreya (CCReviews) Awwwww hot dammit........i was really excited to read this book, lol ;D

Shreya (CCReviews) but man....it has a pretty high rating O_O

message 19: by Katy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Katy Shreya wrote: "Awwwww hot dammit........i was really excited to read this book, lol ;D but man....it has a pretty high rating O_O "

Yeah, it was just okay for me. BUT, it's still early, and I only have one other GR friend rate it, and she gave it 4 stars. So try it out anyway. Maybe you'll like it.

Marshanah Naji IS a poor excuse for an assassin. We don't even see him kill anyone in the book, just do a bunch of blood magic. And it is sad that a pirate chick has to save someone who's supposed to be a TRAINED assassin again and again after he pledge to protect HER. Totally agree with you on both points.