booklady's Reviews > Summer Lightning

Summer Lightning by P.G. Wodehouse

Jun 29, 12

bookshelves: 2012, all-ages, classic, crime, fantasy, favorites, fiction, humor, worth-reading-over-and-over
Read from June 20 to 26, 2012

Although I can see why I don’t usually partake of a steady diet of any genre much less author, there is something to be said for immersing oneself in a ‘serious study’ of comedy. For one thing it recognizes comedy as art and as such not to be viewed lightly, however much it entertains. For another, constant exposure to the medium has the effect of reducing one’s susceptibility to the comic influence through immunity thus allowing for greater objectivity in viewing what has facilitated our mirth.

These are both important for me. I like and need to laugh, but have never given much thought to why or what makes me do so.

When our daughters where growing up, we watched the Jeeves and Wooster series with them repeatedly. They were family favorites despite being formulaic and predicable, made even more so through repetitive viewings.

Reading the actual Wodehouse books now, I see they are even better than the film series. Several audio versions I have listened to recently enhance the experience due to expert readers.

In Summer Lightning, Wodehouse really sizzles. All his characters crackle with the energy of a summer electric storm and there are plenty of interesting personalities for collectors of that sort: dotty old Lord Elmsworth; devoted Sue Brown/sometimes of another alias; pimply Pilbeam; Reminiscences-writing Honorable Galahad Threepwood, or “Gally”; the Efficient Baxter; dying-for-a-dance Hugo Carmody and the infamous kidnapped Empress of Blandings—none other than a pig, to name a few.

Wodehouse disclaims writing about ‘real life’, preferring to poke fun at it—at us. I admit it—I can see myself in his stories. And really when you get right down to it, is there anything funnier than one’s own idiosyncrasies?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Lightning.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kfir (new)

Kfir Luzzatto Besides being a great read, Wodehouse's books are shining examples of masterful prose. For sheer fun I warmly recommend "Pigs have wings".

booklady Thanks Kfir for the recommendation! Right now I'm trying to read books already in my inventory ... as opposed to buying more new books, but I do appreciate the recommendation. If I can find it at my library I will pick it up next time. :)

booklady Pigs with wings; I belive we have those at work... Jeeves and Wooster, our classic "movie night" fun!

booklady The last comment was from "Bear", not booklady... something up here, will try to figure it out... Sorry booklady!
Bear

message 5: by Tess (new)

Tess Holthe I've been meaning to read Wodehouse for years...Thanks for reminding me why. I've also just picked up Raymond Chandler. Better late than never i guess...Thx Booklady